Basilica of St Mary/Rome Italy

JRE313

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got back from my second trip to Italy and I found a really nice church.

The nickname is the Alter of Heaven. This is my first church HDR shot. So let me know what you think.

I made 2 versions of it. Here they are:

Here is my usual overcooked version

The_Alter_of_Heaven.jpg

Here is my Semi realistic HDR version

Basilica_of_St_Mary_of_the_Altar_of_Heaven_Real.jpg

Wow, this might be your best yet.

The semi-realistic is miles better. Could use a bit of an exposure bump but good work.

:thumbup:

Wow, this might be your best yet.

The semi-realistic is miles better. Could use a bit of an exposure bump but good work.

:thumbup:

Thank You!!
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by exposure bump?

In CS5 use an exposure adjustment layer.

This will bring up the shadows, midtones, and highlights in unision and make the overall image a little brighter.

Great picture I agree one of your best ones yet but I don't agree that you need to adjust the exposure. If anything I would adjust the yellow. I do not know the lighting in the church so you could be right on target. If I had to guess what it would look like I would
remove some yellow and in the neutral color I would adjust cyan maybe even the reds only because I know alot of the older church pews are deep redish brown (just guessing)

This is has yellow adjusted and the cyan in the neutral adjusted using selective color layer. (I did not touch the red)

Basilica_of_St_Mary_of_the_Altar_of_Heaven_Real.jpg

Really you did a great job on your own though.. I am glad to see your progress!!

VIPgraphix

Walking into the church was almost like walking in the woods at night, Extremely dark!!!!

Thanks for the kind words

My only wish is for an ultra wide view, it's so fascinating I'd love to see what's around the corners too!

I really like VIPgraphix's re-due as it's right in between your two images.

My only wish is for an ultra wide view, it's so fascinating I'd love to see what's around the corners too!

I would have done a wider view but there were people walking around

I would have done a wider view but there were people walking around

Don't let people steer you away from getting a better shot. People make some shots more interesting. If you keep your shutter open longer you can usually use that exposure to get rid of those people SOME times. But bottom line take the shot you want regardless of people. Its almost expected to see people in a church especially those churches that are places to go visit.

Most reactions

Back