I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just to save a little money, I am thinking of going with third party grips for the D7100 and D7000. not sure which brand yet, so if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them.
also need to get a few more batteries. I have had good luck in the past with third party batteries, but when I looked some up on ebay, I read one listing that stated the batteries did not function if used in a battery grip. I have never heard of this before, so I don't know if it is an issue just with that particular brand of battery, or just third party batteries in general. i have not seen it mentioned in any other non-oem battery listings on ebay.

anyone have experience with third party batteries and grips for a D7000 or D7100? i really don't want to go with third party batteries if they wont work in a grip. (defeats half the purpose of the grip)
I will go with OEM batteries if i really need to, but i would rather just get third party grips this time around.

I bought Sparky's third-party grip for his D7000 when he made the move to the D600. I don't remember which brand, I'll have to go find the box to tell you that. I've also got a third-party battery (Wasabi) in the grip, and I've had zero problems with either product.

I bought Sparky's third-party grip for his D7000 when he made the move to the D600. I don't remember which brand, I'll have to go find the box to tell you that. .......

DSC_5850.jpg

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/333/kw/digital imaging warranty

3. This warranty does not apply to any defects or damage directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the use unauthorized replacement parts and/or service performed by unauthorized personnel.
3rd party grips are unauthorized replacement parts.

I guess I'd better buy Nikon memory cards then.
fiufiu.gif
I wonder how much Nikon charges for authorized electricity needed to charge a battery with.

And I guess I just voided my warranties by using a B+W filter.

I am really leaning towards OEM batteries and third party grips.
The batteries keep getting more expensive, but if i bought an OEM grip for the D7000 new, it would cost half what i paid for the camera.

A for 'voiding the factory warranty', does anyone have hard, factual evidence to prove it's happened? IE: sent in a camera for warranty repair, and Nikon kicks it back saying, "Sorry, you used a 3rd party grip. We know.... we can tell. That voided your warranty, even though the grip didn't cause the problem!"?

A for 'voiding the factory warranty', does anyone have hard, factual evidence to prove it's happened? IE: sent in a camera for warranty repair, and Nikon kicks it back saying, "Sorry, you used a 3rd party grip. We know.... we can tell. That voided your warranty, even though the grip didn't cause the problem!"?

I have seen companies void warranty work based on what was posted on Internet forums and youtube. I'm talking about large corporations, larger than Nikon trolling forums specific to their products. A lot of normal warranty work by normal people was denied as a result of people abusing the products in question with an without aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
If it is of any regard. I wasn't very impressed with my Nikon grip. The battery doesn't sit securely in the battery tray causing it to make a rattling noise. I fixed this by cutting up a credit card and fitting it beneath the battery. It works. Also the grip always seems to work its way loose after a long day of shooting and carrying. This is a Nikon product with a Nikon warranty... I was pretty bummed.

I have seen companies void warranty work based on what was posted on Internet forums and youtube. I'm talking about large corporations, larger than Nikon trolling forums specific to their products. A lot of normal warranty work by normal people was denied as a result of people abusing the products in question with an without aftermarket parts.

Totally different set of circumstances, both 'manufacturer trolling the internet' and 'abusing products'.

Again, is there any empirical evidence of ANYONE sending a camera to Nikon for warranty work and having it denied due to using a 3-rd party grip?

(B&H Photo) Nikon D7000 - Vello BG-N4 $69.95 - Nikon OEM MB-D11 $219.00 - Nikon D7100 - XTNG 7100 Pro series $89.99 - Nikon OEM MB-D15 $269.95. Choice of a better bargain or a Nikon hosing. They are all rated the same by customer satisfaction of 4.5 stars.

Totally different set of circumstances, both 'manufacturer trolling the internet' and 'abusing products'.

Again, is there any empirical evidence of ANYONE sending a camera to Nikon for warranty work and having it denied due to using a 3-rd party grip?

I'm not using the word trolling in the same context as you maybe thinking. I'm talking about said company searching the Internet for people abusing or breaking their products with or without using aftermarket parts.

People installed aftermarket parts > broke original product> main Company searched web> main company denied warranty work.

Did everyone using aftermarket products end with the same broken parts? No, but this action created an issue that was felt by everyone including those people who did not use aftermarket parts. The manufacture started denying warranty work just because a few people tore their stuff and wanted to claim it under warranty. All I'm suggesting is people exercise caution when posting about problems concerning issues using aftermarket products and using factory warrantees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back