Battery Grip...do you use one?

tygr1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it worth it to invest in a battery grip?

If you shoot in portrait orientation a lot, or need the extra battery life and don't have the time to change it, or shoot a lot of long exposure and want to reduce overheating, or want faster burst (model/brand specific), then it might be.

Personally I don't like them but that is because I'm left eye'd and it would only be a hindrance to me.

It is worth to have it. I found much like beneficial when I go for a long walk and shoot a lot. You can find a good quality one in a right price.
The only thing I don't like about: it is makes a body so bulky.

I haven't gotten one because I don't want the extra bulk/weight. Also, the battery life on my camera really impresses me, I've still never killed a battery. Usually I'll throw it back on the charger when it gets down to the last bar, which is at least 2,000 shots every time. But I manual focus a lot, and I don't have any stabilized lenses...

Anyway, my point is.. "it depends"

Only if you need one. If you do not need one, it is not worth to buy it.

You just need to research and find out what you can do with the battery grip. If you think you like those added convenience and features from the grip, then think about if those added convenience and features worth the cost (varies from person to person)

I just got my Opteka battery grip for the 60D yesterday. I have always hated shooting in portrait because I would either have to tuck my elbow in which provided me more stability, but strain on my right wrist, or I would have my elbow flapping in the wind which eased the strain on my wrist but decreased stability while hand holding. Now with the grip my right elbow is tucked and no strain on the wrist.

Grips do add a good amount of weight, but the being able to use two batteries, or 6AA batteries makes me less worried about my camera dying while I'm out on a long day of shooting.

YES! I have one on both of my camera bodies.

I think it is well worth it when you have the heavier glass on the front.

I have one and enjoy it, i shoot portrait a lot and the extra battery is there when you need it. (plus it makes my camera look more expensive HAHAHA)

Yes, i love mine. I have a Canon t1i.

Yes I put grips on the camera bodies I have that don't already have one built-in. Ponder why all the top-of-the-line, pro Nikon and Canon camera bodies have the grip built in rather than making it an option.

The extra size and weight promotes stability when hand holding.
The vertical controls also allow better stability when hand holding when shooting with the camera held in the portrait orientation.

I bought one of the ebay specials and use it 99.9% of them time when I shoot. Its been wonderful. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...3257-d7000-aficionados-mb-d11-knock-offs.html

Sparked my interest so i checked them out for my T1i, $50 will get me one from US even. Ill probably be picking one up before my vacation next month. AWESOME.

OP- What camera do you have? a generic grip for a lower end camera (such as my T1i) would be relatively cheap so it cant hurt to grab one.

Had it on my Elan IIe
Had it on my 10D, 20D
and the 1dMIi had it built in.

I found it very useful when shooting a lot in portrait... comfortable. I didn't always have one with me though as sometimes I just wanted to keep the camera small in size.

I have a D5000 and I think I would like to have one. I'm off to check Ebay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back