Battery Grip...do you use one?

I'd be lost without a grip. I enjoy having the extra bulk on the camera body as well as others have mentioned. It provides a great deal stability when shooting hand held, and the battery life isn't bad either.

I got mine from Link Delight (check the vendor's section).

Yes and i use it for two reasons, first is the the weight balance when i have my 70-200mm 2.8 on, second is if im shooting an all day even like an autocross and doing a lot of video recording, the extra battery life really comes in handy.

I have one and enjoy it, i shoot portrait a lot and the extra battery is there when you need it. (plus it makes my camera look more expensive HAHAHA)

do not buy a grip to make your camera look more expensive haha

mine never leave my camera..

Yes, it is worth it for all the reasons stated above, stability with heavy glass, battery life when shooting events, it's a lot more comfortable when shooting in portrait orientation. The ones I used for my cameras are the Flashpoints from Adorama.

Part of me wants it and part of me doesn't. I'd love to have a larger body, even in landscape orientation my Rebel XS could be a tad bigger. But then, I travel quite a lot and don't like the idea of carrying a bigger camera. And I don't like all the people reactions when you aim at them even with a small DSLR and a compact prime lens. Wouldn't a grip make it even worse? As for the additional battery, I could carry it in my bag just as well. Seems like there are more cons than pros of a grip for me. But everyone's different, no one can tell you if it will be good for you to use one.

I used to for the first 5D and the 20D however I found that the 5DMkII battery last me more then a whole days of shooting. So instead of carrying the extra weight for the the grip, I place my back up batteries in the lens bag.

I shoot mostly primes less then 135mm so counter weight isn't an issue for me.

Reasons I use a battery grip on all my cameras:

1) Dispite not having big hands, one can find that the pinky finger on the right hand is nearly always half falling off the bottom of the DSLR. This rubs and is annoying at most times - the DSLR battery grip gives you space for your pinky finger.

2) Portrait controls - having these makes shooting portrait aspect shots fantastically easy compared to without them. In addition its not limited in the least to "portrait" photographers. Everyone uses the portrait aspect for almost any subject area - so its valued to everyone.

3) Added battery life - 2 batteries really do last longer than 1 and because they both power the camera they'll last a little longer than 2 separate batteries. A word of caution though is that you should always have a spare battery outside of the camera itself - thus when the in-camera batter dies you can swap over there and then rather than having to end shooting and head back to recharge them. Note a grip can run with only one battery in it if you've not yet bought additional batteries.

4) Wrist straps - proper wrist straps need a battery grip to be mounted and these really do help when holding the camera. A little more stability when shooting, plus you don't have to grip quite so feverishly - but also when not shooting they let you relax the hand when moving around - letting the strap take the weight.

Yep was having cramps in fingers and hand. And grip made it much better with more space for my fingers to grab onto.And really helps the forward tilt stress on hands with the heavier lenses mounted. Portrait controls also a plus.

Biggest complaint is size & weight. I would be happy with using a slim down version grip that used only one battery. And was about 30%-40% smaller and lighter.

If the camera does not have a grip, I put a grip on it. I've used my pro Nikons with their built-in integral grips since 2001. I prefer a camera with a grip on it for "most" situations, except hiking/trekking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back