Battery grip

hart0710

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Been looking at (and thinking about getting) a battery grip for my 20d. Are these worth the cost?

Some people love them, others people just don't bother...it's a personal type of thing.

They offer room for an extra battery (extended battery life), they offer the ability to use AA batteries, they have a shutter release button, control dial and thumb buttons so that you don't have to contort your hand when shooting int portrait orientation. They increase the grip area of the camera.

There are off-brand models that you can get for your camera. Some of them are built in the same factory as the Canon BG-E2, and are pretty much identical but are cheaper.

My battery always outlasts my cards and I'd rather carry a spare battery in my pocket than stressing my wrist.

I've always thought they're more useful for the better grip they provide for shooting in vertical orientation like Mike said, rather than simply providing more power. As mentioned you could simply carry spares for that purpose, but if like me you sometimes find extended 'portrait' shooting can become uncomfortable then it could be useful. So to my mind the battery grips actually don't stress my wrist but in fact do the opposite.

I have it and I love it, I think they are worth it. I do shoot a lot of portraits so it helps me to hold the camera steady.

I think on top of the abilty to shoot portaits and extended battery life you also get your whole hand on the camera making it more steady and feel better in your hands. I'll be getting one for my birthday and cant wait to put it on. I have a feeling it wont be coming off.

Thanks to everybody for your input. It has been very helpful.

I want to get one. my friend has a grip on his XT. Not only do they double battery life and give you an easy way to shoot verticle, but they also look pro. :lol:

i just got one..and after a full day of shooting last weekend...i love it, but that is mostly because the xti didnt feel right in my big hands

i just got one..and after a full day of shooting last weekend...i love it, but that is mostly because the xti didnt feel right in my big hands

that may be why I like the grip on my friends XT. small cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back