Beach Trip

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm going to the beach this weekend (Wildwood NJ for anyone in the States) and wanted to take the new D50. While it's relatively common sense to keep the camera out of extreme heat and sand ... does anyone have any advice or experience with taking a camera into a possibly unsafe area?

I figured I'd lock the camera in the car (in shade with windows cracked) when I'm not actually taking pics... and when it's on me I'll keep it in a backpack that doesn't look like a camera bag.

Any other advice or experiences? I guess I always feel I should try to bring the camera everywhere I go since... that's kind of the point of owning a camera... but there are some places I should definitely disguise it where others I don't.

decide first if you are going to be sunbathing and swimming there or to takeing pictures... if the first one - I'd leave the camera in a car, hidden somewhere. Go to the water, swim, lay on a beach...than after some time, take a camera and take a long walk along the beach...

Haha yeah if you've ever been to Joisy you'll know you don't go to the beach to go in the water. I figure it's mostly common sense... I won't build a sand castle and then decide to start changing lenses, etc.

How about precautions for taking a cam into a potentially unsafe area? I'm not sure how safe/unsafe this area is but I'd rather assume the worst.

Ihaveaquestion said:
I take my D50 to the beach all the time.

You cant really swim in San Fran (too Cold).

Are you are worried about someone stealing your camera?

Keep the strap around you at all times. Around your neck or arm/shoulder so that it can't be ripped away from you.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Don't walk around, looking like a victim...look like you belong there. Use common sense and try to stay out of situations that might make you uncomfortable.

I've heard the tip of keeping your camera gear in a diaper bag...who would steal a diaper bag?

pack some heat, a 9 in your pants waist is usually good enough :lol:

But really, unless your beach is crazy crime area just act like you would anywhere else.

LOL awesome suggestion. I actually think I'll take BigMike's suggestion and put the camera in a normal backpack and not a camera bag. Other than that... I'll take my chances.

I don't think the place is overly crime-ridden but at the same time if it was... I'd probably still want to take the camera. :thumbup: We'll see!!

xfloggingkylex said:
pack some heat, a 9 in your pants waist is usually good enough :lol:

But really, unless your beach is crazy crime area just act like you would anywhere else.

war photographers put their arses on the line for your daily newspaper, it's the least you can do...;)
no i joke, but, a little risk is usually a good thing.

Most reactions

Back