beach volleyball

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I can see is that in 3, 4, and 6, the subjects in the foreground are out of focus. This ends up drawing my eye away from the central subject. Other than that, I think that these photos capture awesome moments in beach volleyball. My favorite would have to be the first one, as it captures a moment between players interacting in a non sports related setting.

I play vball and I love the last one! Great set. =)

Another nice set, I like the first one the best. I thought the games were done - or is this another event?. (nm looked it up)

Last edited:
2 and 5 are my favorite. Great shots!

The only thing I can see is that in 3, 4, and 6, the subjects in the foreground are out of focus. This ends up drawing my eye away from the central subject. Other than that, I think that these photos capture awesome moments in beach volleyball. My favorite would have to be the first one, as it captures a moment between players interacting in a non sports related setting.

3, 4 and 6 are out of focus? Where in the frame are you looking? The players are sharp. In #6 the players are looking directly at each other, even with the glasses it's obvious. If the near player in this images was also sharp there would be no depth to the image.

#7 is my absolute favorite, followed closely by #2 and 4. But I like 'em all; nicely done! I've never tried shooting beach volleyball (what with the nearest beach being over 6 hours away), but I imagine it's a tough game to get good action shots.

#7 is my absolute favorite, followed closely by #2 and 4. But I like 'em all; nicely done! I've never tried shooting beach volleyball (what with the nearest beach being over 6 hours away), but I imagine it's a tough game to get good action shots.

It's easier than you might think. Having only to shoot 2 players per side. It's a matter of just following the ball. The near court players when they are serving the ball give hand signals that tell the server where to place the ball, once you understand that, you already know where the ball is heading. At the pro level, like most it is a much faster game, especially when the men are playing, the spikes are going almost straight down, tougher to get the digs in the sand. It's a great way to spend a sunny day.

3, 4 and 6 are out of focus? Where in the frame are you looking? The players are sharp. In #6 the players are looking directly at each other, even with the glasses it's obvious. If the near player in this images was also sharp there would be no depth to the image.

My thoughts exactly. The ball, unless the ball and athlete are moving parallel to the camera, is rarely going to the in focus if the athlete is. And #6 is just good layering. My guess is Jennifer is probably pretty new to this.

Awesome pictures! I just would have like to see more butts...that's normally why I watch these events on tv. :) . But seriously, great shots! Captured all aspects of the game.

My thoughts exactly. The ball, unless the ball and athlete are moving parallel to the camera, is rarely going to the in focus if the athlete is. And #6 is just good layering. My guess is Jennifer is probably pretty new to this.

Thanks Dan, I had the same thoughts on this.

Nice set imagemaker.

jenniferrose is perfectly correct that having a giant OOF object in the foreground is visually distracting. Pointing out some technicalities that explain why it's OOF doesn't change the fact that it's distracting. #3 in particular is irritating because a) it hides the athlete's face and b) the ball isn't actually that OOF, it's just soft.

I am pretty sure that the big OOF object in the foreground an idiom in sports photography, but I'm not convinced that it's a good one, and it most certainly doesn't work 100% of the time. To be visually strong rather than weak it needs to be more or less unobtrusive leaving the subject obvious and clear, and ideally the OOF object is both recognizable and relevant to the context. The ball in #4 is excellent, the ball in #3 is crap.

Now, you can roar away about how I must not shoot sports (I don't), and therefore I cannot understand how it's hard to accomplish all this in one frame. Feel free. The fact that I don't shoot sports does not mean either that I cannot see, or that producing sub-par pictures is OK due to degree of difficulty.

You have your opinion and I respect that. By the way it's called a volleyball, not a big OOF. Would the shots look better as good action shots without the ball? It's not really too difficult to accomplish this all in one shot, I could have shot it at f11-22 and had everything from the ball to the background in focus, however that's not how I do things.

I have no reason to roar away about how you don't have a clue about shooting sports, or that you believe sub-par pictures are ok due to a degree of difficulty. You have an opinion, that's fine. But don't try and bait me, this isn't a fishing derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back