What's new

Been doing some winter shooting, C&C por favor

timfrommass

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Messages
182
Reaction score
1
1.
4252468502_d7959bb343_b.jpg


2.
4251696301_290dbcc25b_b.jpg


3.
4251701389_cdd32f2376_b.jpg


4.
4251703047_002b4760c1_b.jpg


5.
4251699311_0646031b57_b.jpg


6.
4251706241_7a567c9735_b.jpg


-tim
 
The processing on 3 and 4 are pretty good, but shots 1 and 2 look dreadful on my monitor. Just to phrase it another way: the "look" you have achieved in shots 3 and 4 is perfectly representative of how I would like my bright day snow scenes to render. Just perfectly rendered, in my opinion. The last photo, while nice, seems a bit over saturated,and like the total dynamic range is a bit compressed down in the shadow values.

Shot 5 has plugged up shadows. Shot 3 has dark, yet slightly open shadows, and beautifully-pegged highlight values.
 
OK well I don't want to have my photos judged on my PP skills, so since you liked the 2 I only did minimal touch up on I'll do the same to a few of the ones you didn't like. The 2 that you liked I felt had some good natural shadows and character so I didn't do much, but I felt that in the mid-day sun there wasn't enough drama to the landscapes so I tried to add some. As far as picture #2 goes all I did was increase some of the shadows because I didn't like the half sillouette look of the trees, but I really liked the sky in the shot.

1.
4253214826_cbaa0e0b6f_b.jpg


5.
4253213914_3f29081299_b.jpg


6.
4253214534_88ca5c88f2_b.jpg


-tim
 
Mid-day sun is hard on winter photos especially if it is bright and sunny...and snowy.

I really like the one with the two people walking away from you...that works well for me!
 
Mid-day sun is hard on winter photos especially if it is bright and sunny...and snowy.

I really like the one with the two people walking away from you...that works well for me!

Thanks I really liked that one too, I got another of them on the bridge with their dog on the rail, which I also liked. I was actually lucky enough to have 2 different groups of people who let me shoot them for a few mins.

You are right about snow and mid-day sun, this was my first time doing that in an open area like this. I've been reading several books on exposure and that really did help. By and large I think I did a pretty descent job of getting my exposure pretty close throughout the day.

-tim
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom