- Joined
- Mar 1, 2025
- Messages
- 427
- Reaction score
- 1,477
- Location
- Montana
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
I love winter wildlife photography here in Montana.
There is no such thing as "bad weather", only "bad clothes"
Winter has several advantages for photographing local wildlife:
1) The sun angle is low in the sky and I no longer have to struggle with harsh summer light.
2) Snow and frost on the landscape allows for subject small in the frame type photos that were not possible in the summer.
3) Lakes, Ponds, and slow-flowing rivers are frozen which concentrates otters, swans, and winter waterfowl to open water areas.
4) Snow gives character to some shots. On a cold day, the breath of an animal frozen in the air is special.
My other hobbies shut down for the winter. I have time to explore and get outdoors.
Being outdoors helps me avoid the winter blues and enjoy nature.
There is no such thing as "bad weather", only "bad clothes"
Winter has several advantages for photographing local wildlife:
1) The sun angle is low in the sky and I no longer have to struggle with harsh summer light.
2) Snow and frost on the landscape allows for subject small in the frame type photos that were not possible in the summer.
3) Lakes, Ponds, and slow-flowing rivers are frozen which concentrates otters, swans, and winter waterfowl to open water areas.
4) Snow gives character to some shots. On a cold day, the breath of an animal frozen in the air is special.
My other hobbies shut down for the winter. I have time to explore and get outdoors.
Being outdoors helps me avoid the winter blues and enjoy nature.
