Been missing in action, back to share some recent work

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all! I haven't posted to share in quite a while, though I do still check back often to see what the latest goings on are here at TPF.

To be honest, I haven't done a whole lot of work recently with photography, but when I do make time for it, my goal is to really make the most of the opportunity and push to keep going forward. I think the infrequency of shoots is both helping and hurting at the same time. On the one hand, I don't wear out from taking too many pictures, which is a huge plus. (Burn out is not fun...) Also, it helps me stay more directed, or deliberate with my shooting...and less prone to just snapping away a million pictures, hoping some of them will work out.

On the other hand, it also makes me a little rusty. I have to stop and think a bit longer about how to get the settings and set up I want for a shot than I used to...and sometimes I fall back into old mistakes because of that rusty-ness. But at the same time, stopping to think and taking the time I need to get the look I'm envisioning in my mind has also helped a lot of issues I was having before as well.

Anywayyyy...rambling aside...here's a shoot I had just for fun with a very sweet friend who was celebrating her 1-year with her significant other. I met her last year when she needed senior pictures done, and she was just so much fun to work with! We've kept in touch since then, and I was so excited when she asked if we could get together for pictures again. =)

Here were some of my favorites from the session:

Thanks for taking a look! =)

1)

Aayriabella-12-L.jpg

2)

Aayriabella-13-L.jpg

3)

Aayriabella-18-L.jpg

4)

Aayriabella-22-L.jpg

5)

Aayriabella-16-L.jpg

6)

Aayriabella-9-L.jpg

Nice shots! I really like #4 :)

They all look soft due to apertures used, why o why did you shoot at F1.4 and F1.8 nearly imposible to get them both in focus, i don't expect you to make that mistake

I find the up-skirt shots quite distracting from the real subject matter.

#5 they are too far apart on the bench & there is way too much scenery within the frame.

My opinions.

They all look soft due to apertures used, why o why did you shoot at F1.4 and F1.8 nearly imposible to get them both in focus, i don't expect you to make that mistake

I agree on all except maybe #5 and #6.....My lens just doesn't perform well at 1.4, unless the light is just absolutely right, and even then, the plane of focus is so narrow, that it's often hit or miss. I would normally try to close down to at least 2.2, where the lens seems to get noticably sharper...But I guess I was just wanting to experiment with some of these. The softness is worst in #1 and #3 especially. I was happy with the other aspects of the shots that didn't turn out as crisp as I'd like...so it's something I may keep working at, trying to push this little lens. =)

I agree on all except maybe #5 and #6.....My lens just doesn't perform well at 1.4, unless the light is just absolutely right, and even then, the plane of focus is so narrow, that it's often hit or miss. I would normally try to close down to at least 2.2, where the lens seems to get noticably sharper...But I guess I was just wanting to experiment with some of these. The softness is worst in #1 and #3 especially. I was happy with the other aspects of the shots that didn't turn out as crisp as I'd like...so it's something I may keep working at, trying to push this little lens. =)

#6 is way out of focus, the hem of her dress looks more in focus than her eyes, i would shoot them at no less than F4

#6 is way out of focus, the hem of her dress looks more in focus than her eyes, i would shoot them at no less than F4

Hmmm..I'm trying to look at that one and judge the focus...Do her eyes look OOF to you as well? I get that the hem of her skirt is, and that you don't like that style of image...but I was wanting to do that standard stylistic shot where the eyes are clearly focussed and then the rest of her body gradually blurs into the background as the distance plane moves downward, ending in swirly nicely blurred grass. But if they eyes look OOF too, I may have to reconsider how I get this shot.

I like em, a little bit heavy on the vignetting, but I know it's your style so I can't really complain about it.

#5, really nasty Chromatic Aberration going on there around the bench.

I find the up-skirt shots quite distracting from the real subject matter.

#5 they are too far apart on the bench & there is way too much scenery within the frame.

My opinions.

I have to kind of agree with your first CC....that did bother me too. I was hoping that since it was so shadowed in that area that it wouldn't be distracting, but I could see depending on the viewer/audience that it could be more or less distracting than for others. I could have avoided it if I'd just stood a tad bit taller, too... grrrrr. Definitely not used to some of the wardrobe choices and short dresses a lot of younger girls are making for photoshoots lately!

I like em, a little bit heavy on the vignetting, but I know it's your style so I can't really complain about it.

#5, really nasty Chromatic Aberration going on there around the bench.

Oh my gosh, you mean you don't like purple fringes!!!! GEEZ picky. =P Definitely another disadvantage to shooting wide open, the chromatic aberration is always way more evident between areas of high contrast. That particular shot was actually difficult, because it was hard to LOOK at them, lol! The river behind them had the sun glaring soooo brightly off the surface, the little nook we were shooting in was just flooded with insanely bright light if you stood at the wrong angle.

Thanks for your cc!

Oh my gosh, you mean you don't like purple fringes!!!! GEEZ picky. =P Definitely another disadvantage to shooting wide open, the chromatic aberration is always way more evident between areas of high contrast. That particular shot was actually difficult, because it was hard to LOOK at them, lol! The river behind them had the sun glaring soooo brightly off the surface, the little nook we were shooting in was just flooded with insanely bright light if you stood at the wrong angle.

Thanks for your cc!

Oh trust me, I just bought an 85mm 1.4 and I get it horribly at 1.4 also. Not sure what program you use to edit, but if you are a Photoshop user, look up the action called "Purple Fringe Killer", it...is...phenomenal.

Edit: Here ya go. http://blog.lorrifreedman.com/index.php/2008/07/30/hdr-and-the-purple-fringe/

I
don't even mess with Aberration fixes in RAW anymore, just run the action once its opened in PS.

It doesnt bother me with the wide open. As long the eyes are in focus. It is like using T/S lens where you blur out the subject except the eyes head area. General public love shots like #6. Not a fan of 3 and 5.

Most reactions

Back