Been shooting on and off for years now

ChrisedwardsHT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I never really put out my photos on the web until recently.
Today I was just looking through them at work and someone said "Whoever took these, suck!" and I thought to myself. Wow. Really..
I want people to let me know what they think. What should I do? How can I improve?
I have an old Rebel right now.. (wanting to buy a 5D and some good glass)
This is the reason I never put pictures out on the net. because of a-holes..

Jessica Snr - a set on Flickr

This is what he saw. This was the first time I went out and "tried"
Give me your inputs.
Thanks in advance..

Talk about handing this to us pre-loaded!

OK, I'll start, the photo of Jessica sitting in front of the weathered wood fence is pretty good.

You took a model to the train tracks. Think hard about the most over-used, beaten to death, "Oh Gawd not again!" worst cliche you could possibly imagine -- think harder -- got it? You beat it; you took a model to the train tracks!

The photo of Jessica hanging from the ladder on the train car. Look at her face. Is this a photo of her nose? What part of her face is lit? What's with the blazing nose in the sun?

Joe

You need to post photos here if you really want C&C! Most of us wont't take the time to click on a unknown link, and look at hundreds of shots. Just post two or three.. number them, maybe explain what you were going for.. and it helps to leave the Exif data in, or tell us how you shot them.

OK, I'll start, the photo of Jessica sitting in front of the weathered wood fence is pretty good.

You took a model to the train tracks. Think hard about the most over-used, beaten to death, "Oh Gawd not again!" worst cliche you could possibly imagine -- think harder -- got it? You beat it; you took a model to the train tracks!

The photo of Jessica hanging from the ladder on the train car. Look at her face. Is this a photo of her nose? What part of her face is lit? What's with the blazing nose in the sun?

Joe

Thank you. Kinda makes more sense when someone tells me/ helps me look at what is "bad". instead of someone just dogging on me.

Yes, it's best to choose 2 or 3 photos and post those images large and numbered(!) here.

Anyway, I looked through the Jessica series and, 1) some are very nice, 2) most have lighting issues, 3) composition is a mixed bag. So, you're kind of all over the place, but clearly on the right path.

I really like this photo! Jessica Senior | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Yes, it's cropped too close, her head is cut off, it's tilted, and has exposure issues, etc., but her expression is spontaneous, the ambient light is superb, the mood is good, and the backlit hair is beautiful. Nice and strong - it holds my attention well.

Joe

Thank you. Kinda makes more sense when someone tells me/ helps me look at what is "bad". instead of someone just dogging on me.

Hey, glad you came back! I was afraid I might have been too harsh on you for starters. So Charlie and Jamie are right; the way to get feedback here is to pick 2, 3 at the most, and post them with questions. Thick skin is required. You will encounter an occasional jerk, but by internet forum standards this place is amazingly friendly and helpful. There are a lot of very capable photographers here who are generous and will help a lot. Hope you hang around.

Joe

Yes, it's best to choose 2 or 3 photos and post those images large and numbered(!) here.

Anyway, I looked through the Jessica series and, 1) some are very nice, 2) most have lighting issues, 3) composition is a mixed bag. So, you're kind of all over the place, but clearly on the right path.

I really like this photo! Jessica Senior | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Yes, it's cropped too close, her head is cut off, it's tilted, and has exposure issues, etc., but her expression is spontaneous, the ambient light is superb, the mood is good, and the backlit hair is beautiful. Nice and strong - it holds my attention well.

Thanks for your input, that is one of my more favorite photos as well.

Joe

Hey, glad you came back! I was afraid I might have been too harsh on you for starters. So Charlie and Jamie are right; the way to get feedback here is to pick 2, 3 at the most, and post them with questions. Thick skin is required. You will encounter an occasional jerk, but by internet forum standards this place is amazingly friendly and helpful. There are a lot of very capable photographers here who are generous and will help a lot. Hope you hang around.

Joe

I have always had thick skin, but he got through all of it.. And yes, it seems to be nice in here. Thanks again. :)

Uhm, suck is a bit harsh for what I saw. There are some photographers around who's images really do suck. At least yours are not so horrid I have to look away or even worse, have to stare at like some macaab roadside horror show.

No, they don't suck but you've got a long ways to go before I would say any good. Stick around, how long that is depends on what you can hear (read) and absorb. :)

Trever1t said:
Uhm, suck is a bit harsh for what I saw. There are some photographers around who's images really do suck. At least yours are not so horrid I have to look away or even worse, have to stare at like some macaab roadside horror show.

No, they don't suck but you've got a long ways to go before I would say any good. Stick around, how long that is depends on what you can hear (read) and absorb. :)

Haha. I'm glad I don't fall into that category. Thanks a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back