What's new

Been thinking of picking up some older lenses but the f3af lenses.

xjoewhitex

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
419
Reaction score
14
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I got my newer body, which has the ability to run older lenses ive been searching around on eBay for some good deals. But on the compatibility chart it says I cannot use f3af lenses, but im unsure how to tell the difference between the two. Ive been searching around on google, and have yet to find an answer. I do realize G and D lenses are pretty much a dead give away im safe, but what of the other AF lenses? :confused:
 
Nikon developed two af lenses with in-lens focus motor specifically for an autofocus pentaprism variant of the F3 (F3AF). These are a 80mm f2.8 and a 200mm f3.5. Although these lenses have internal focus motors the algorithms used are different than those used on subsequent autofocus nikon cameras and as such will only work with that particular variant of the F3. You are not likely to run into these two lenses with any significant frequency.
 
So the only f3 specific lenses are the 200mm, and 80mm primes?. I know the issues in using them and why I cannot im just unsure on how to spot them. If I were to pick up a lens off eBay, how would I know its not for an f3?
 
F3AF lenses are extremely rare and very expensive. You won't encounter them unless you're looking specifically for them.

There are some old lenses I would recommend:

Nikon 16mm f2.8 Fisheye (full-frame only--not worth it for a crop sensor)
Nikon 20mm f2.8 AIS (excellent for a full-frame camera like a D700)
Nikon 24mm F2 AI
Nikon 50mm f1.4 AIS
Nikon 100mm F4 Micro (awesome macro lens for the $$)
Nikon 300mm F4.5 AI or AIS (amazingly sharp 300mm lens)
Nikon 300mm F4.5 IF ED AIS (same as the other 300mm but with less CA)
Nikon 600mm F5.6 ED AIS

Make sure that you buy either AI or AIS lenses, the easiest way to check the lens version is to use the serial # and compare it to this database: Nikon Lens Serial Nos
 
Awesome! Thank you djaco. I'll be sure to check out these lenses you mentioned altho I dont have a full-frame the rest would be useful. Im actually watching a 25mm f2 at the moment.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom