TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before
4662954055_737386753d.jpg

After
4663575112_a5fff9a2ca.jpg

The first image was shot with a Minolta Maxxum 7D w/ Minolta AF DT 18-70 and the second with a Nikon D700 w/ Nikkor 50mm 1.4

Anyone have any comments on what was done well or not so well in the either shot - with regards to the lighting? I'm working with Photo Basics by Westcott - pretty basic.

the IQ is better in the second one, but I like the lighting better in the first one. I don't know anything about lighting though, so don't mind me!

the IQ is better in the second one, but I like the lighting better in the first one. I don't know anything about lighting though, so don't mind me!

Yea it could have been the PP in each that is causing the discrepency since the lighting set up was basically the same in each. However, she was probably much closer to the lights in the 2nd since she was running around and so was I snapping pictures. LOL

I just did a couple auto adjustments in photoshop for each and uploaded them to flickr. I have very limited skills with photoshop - I know most of the basics, but I'd say my execution is pretty poor most of the time.

But I agree with several posts I've read regarding PP - if the image isn't that great, PP isn't going to help. LOL

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is one that I made some edits to for a print I gave to my in-laws for Christmas.
4664355680_ecb7220034.jpg

Well, the first looks like a single light source, diffused, above and camera right. The second looks like 2 light sources, both above, one to the right and one to the left. The second setup made for flatter lighting, which is nice, but I just like the first one better.

I have to post more of the photos I've been taking more recently for more feedback.

I recently attempted an all natural lighting shoot (from the window in my living room) for 8wk old twins. It was a fail - in my opinion.

On the second photo I think you should have used that background light. Give alittle separation between the kid and the background.

hmmm, skintone is better in the first one, it's just a little too wide angle.

Other than that they're pretty much indistinguishable as far as gauging how much better of a camera one is over the other, especially at that size.

Oops, gear don't make a photographer!

Most reactions

Back