Beginner DSLR Camera?

Refrusloi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was searchin around on google for a DSLR camera, as this will be my first, I would like to get one that is not expensive. I can't seem to find any cheap ones though. The cheapest I found was 200$ and got bad reviews.

I plan to take photography as a career, but for my first camera I dont want a super expensive one, so what would you guys recommend for Digital SLR camera for me?

Thx in advance.

What do you consider cheap? $600 for a DSLR & lens sounds like a good deal to me...and that's about what you will find for a new, entry level DSLR. (Nikon D40)

If you plan on photography as a career...it would be well worth your time & money to get the best camera & lens that you can possibly afford. You may eventually upgrade...but a good camera should last for a good long time.

Maybe you should consider a film SLR. That will let you learn photography without a lot of money...and the lenses can be compatible with a DSLR when you do get one.

Well, your best bet is to probably look at the 'older' DSLR models like the 300D, 350D, 10D, (those in the Canon line) or the D50 (I am sure a Nikon user will elaborate more - I don't know my Nikon cameras that well). Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to find a quality camera, battery, memory card, and lens (all essential obviously) for $200. Even P&S are going for plenty more these days.

Keep searching and refering to http://www.resellerratings.com/ to make sure you aren't being ripped off.

Edit: What Big Mike said is even more on par. Buy a film camera. I am starting (again) to shoot film, and I have borrwed a Canon EOS 620 - which back in the day sold for $800 +, now I can find it on ebay for $25. The only other expenses you will have is a lens (perhaps a 50mm 1.8 will suit your needs) and film (which comes along with processing). It is slightly more cost effective to buy film with processing included.

Oh I see, it was under the category SLR-like. What does that mean? Are they better than compacts?

Do they think I should just get like a 150$ digital compact camera for now while I practice and make a beginning portfolio? Or I should still cash out 500$ for DSLR?

Personally, I would hold off from buying a lower end digital (P&S) and begin your portfolio building with a film SLR. When you have saved enough for a digital SLR, then the transition will be quick - and your knowledge about photography will be much greater than with a P&S.

Yes, film SLR. Go to ebay and search for 'Pentax K1000', and you'll be all set. I took some of my best pix with a K1000 many years ago.

I think you may learn faster with film, because it forces you to consider things more instead of just snapping away.

Oh, and before you go and do that even, consider buying a good photography book. Knowing the theory ahead of time will save you a lot of dough in bad prints.

If you really want to go digital to start with, maybe a prosumer zoom camera would be good? I just sold a like-new 3 MP Olympus with everything from full manual to full auto on ebay for $120 shipped. (C-725 UZ) Nice sharp lens, fair price, very versatile. Much more so for the money than an SLR.

I think you may learn faster with film, because it forces you to consider things more instead of just snapping away.

Oh, and before you go and do that even, consider buying a good photography book. Knowing the theory ahead of time will save you a lot of dough in bad prints.
There you go. If you want to get good with the bigger cameras that's what you do.

in my nikon biased opinion you should buy a Nikon F-series body wether it be an F80 or an FE and the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. The 50mm will work on any nikon camera made since 1950-something and will autofocus on any Nikon AF body except the D40. The combination is fool-proof and if you're smart about things, everything should be compatible with everything else in the future.

Like what was said above, 35mm film will teach good shoooting habits and everyone should use some sort of film at least once in their lives.

Would I be better at picking a DSLR camera once Ive had a SLR film camera? I was thinking spening like 250 or so on a SLR now, and then later get a good DSLR for maybe 600? I technically could get a DSLR now, but I dont want to be making the wrong choices and spending near 1grand for it.

I was just looking at photos on another forum, from different cameras, which I think will be helpful in my decision. I was wondering if there were any forums that had photos from specific cameras like this, but shots of models, or even just any people(although models would be best). But On the forums I see buildings and flowers and stuff, but almost never any people. Do yall have any links to this?

It's really up to you...to decide what is the best course of action.

On one hand, learning on film can be a great experience...most of us did it. Then when film is even more scarce than it is now...you can call yourself 'old school' :D.

On the other hand, your film SLR may get little or no use once you start using a DLSR...so it may be a waste of money. If your goal is to be using a DSLR then I don't see a reason not to just go for it (besides the price, or course). Also, learning with a digital camera has the huge advantage of instant feed back and also the settings info is embedded into the file so you always know what settings you used.

I do think it's a good idea to play with an expensive camera in the store, before you buy. That way you can see if it fits your hands well. That's a good time to compare different models or brands.

Most reactions

Back