Beginner Macro

St3phaniex3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm extremely new to macro but would love some constructive criticism. I don't have a whole bunch of equipment to work with and I'm on a VERY tight budget. Currently I have a Nikon D5200 with a Tamron 60mm macro F2. I just recently got some raynox 2x and 4x lenses but have been having trouble with focusing while using them. I try photographing handheld as it's easier to get certain angles but apparently I'm a little too shakey for that. I do not have a decent tripod but have been searching for a really good deal on a decent sturdy one. I also believe I should invest in a remote shutter release lol.

Here are two photographs I recently took with the Tamron 60mm macro

_DSC0113 (4).jpg
_DSC0060.jpg

Do you have a flash?

Do you have a flash?
I have an Ultimax slave flash that came with a kit. Not sure how good it is. Is there a certain type of flash you recommend for pretty cheap?

I use a Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro. You're macro should be just fine. Pretty much all macro lenses are sharp and work well.

I've used toilet paper, paper towels, etc. Whatever works. Just experiment and have fun.

I use a Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro. You're macro should be just fine. Pretty much all macro lenses are sharp and work well.

I've used toilet paper, paper towels, etc. Whatever works. Just experiment and have fun.

Does your lens have image stabilization?

No. None of my lenses have that. With the addition of flash you shouldn't need to worry about that. The flash will freeze your subject.

No. None of my lenses have that. With the addition of flash you shouldn't need to worry about that. The flash will freeze your subject.

ohh ok awesome thank you soo much!! :)

Do those LED macro light rings do any good?

Sorry, never used a ring light. Guess it would come down to what shutter speeds you could get while using it. I think it would have to be pretty strong if you wanted to shoot at 1/200 and f11-22. Then how your camera handles ISO comes into play.

Using the Df was the first time I could shoot macro at 1:1, @f8-16 without needing flash. Being able to shoot at ISO 5000-12,800.

Ok I just made my softbox!! Not the prettiest thing but I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!! Thank you so much for suggesting it to me!

Most LED macro ring lights can give you 1-2 stops of additional light - they are quite under powered. There are better ones but I would really suggest a true xenon flash. Either you can use a standard one with a reflector - there are some very good suggestions in the thread or get Yongnuo YN-14EX - a ring macro flash at a reasonable price..

jake337 what type of paper did you use? ordinary A4 printer paper?

I tried using the softbox today. I don't feel it is bright enough though so I'll have to search for a better flash.
Most LED macro ring lights can give you 1-2 stops of additional light - they are quite under powered. There are better ones but I would really suggest a true xenon flash. Either you can use a standard one with a reflector - there are some very good suggestions in the thread or get Yongnuo YN-14EX - a ring macro flash at a reasonable price..

I actually just ordered two xenon hot shoes and a circular bracket :)

Most reactions

Back