Beginner needs portrait advice

iCareMuch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF, I've been lurking here for the past month or so. I've learned a lot of composition and color correction reading peoples critiques.

I'm a complete beginner in this, but I'm on a quick-track to learn more. A friend of mine volunteered for me to photoshoot her this weekend. I really want to take her to this park that's oceanside to get some nice shots.

Firstly, camera and lenses

Canon T2i
Canon 18-55mm f3.5/5.6
Canon 55-250mm f4/5.6
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 10-22mm f3.5/4.5

I'm hoping there's overcast since I don't have a reflector.

So I have some questions:

1) Is it possible to take portrait shots with the wide-angle? I'm aware this usually doesn't work well since the lens captures so much distracting background, but there's always the zoom or pp crop I can use.

2) If I were to buy a reflector for outdoor use, what can I use to hold it up (in a park) at the right angle

3) What should she wear or avoid wearing

Any additional posing tips or general tips for outdoor portraits are appreciated :)

Just from reading C+C you guys have been very helpful to me so far, and I appreciate it :thumbup:

~Thanks

P.S. Pictures of the park for reference

Last edited:
Welcome! Reflectors are easy. Stop at Wal-mart and buy a few large sheets of white and/or very light yellow poster board. As far as holding it, that's what assistants are for. Drag someone along with you to be your slave for the day. Failing that, you can knock something together out of cheap plumbing parts, lumber, or use an inexpensive tripod, but the bipedal, voice-controlled reflector stand always works best (even if it costs you a couple of beer after)

I'm not sure I'd use the 10-22, but given the look of the park you might get something interesting from very close, using the ocean as a background.
Again, judging by the park photos, I would avoid having her wear green or blue, and black isn't usually a good idea unless you have lots of extra light (flashes/strobes).

Posing really depends on what you want; are these formal shots, casual... avoid anything looking up her nose, bare armpits, avoid cropping limbs at joints, make sure there are no trees "growing out of her head"

Good luck - post the results here!

Welcome! Reflectors are easy. Stop at Wal-mart and buy a few large sheets of white and/or very light yellow poster board. As far as holding it, that's what assistants are for. Drag someone along with you to be your slave for the day. Failing that, you can knock something together out of cheap plumbing parts, lumber, or use an inexpensive tripod, but the bipedal, voice-controlled reflector stand always works best (even if it costs you a couple of beer after)

I'm not sure I'd use the 10-22, but given the look of the park you might get something interesting from very close, using the ocean as a background.
Again, judging by the park photos, I would avoid having her wear green or blue, and black isn't usually a good idea unless you have lots of extra light (flashes/strobes).

Posing really depends on what you want; are these formal shots, casual... avoid anything looking up her nose, bare armpits, avoid cropping limbs at joints, make sure there are no trees "growing out of her head"

Good luck - post the results here!

Thanks for the info! It's just a casual photoshoot, nothing too serious. I had the idea that blue/green clothes wouldn't work but now that you mention avoiding black that makes good sense. So if I use the 10-22 for a few shots and don't really like the results, should I stick to the 50mm over the other 2?

Thanks again-

Extensive resource! I love it,
thanks!

It's casual; try them all You'll get different styles and results with each. Remember, that's the beauty of digital photography; the film is cheap!

The 55-250 will probably be the most versatile lens for work at the seashore...changing lenses close to the surf line, there is often a substantial "mist line" of fine saltwater particles in the air--so keep that in mind when changing lenses, AND after every 20 minutes of shooting, you need to make absolutely sure that your front element is not misted up with a fine,fine film of sea spray. SHort focal lengths like the 10-22 offer great depth of field with small image magnification, but they tend to create a lot of apparent perspective distortion, especially when you are close to a human subject, and or the camera back is not parallel with a standing or seated person's body angle.

And please...think about the difference between horizontal and vertical compositions. Google the term "famous portraits",and see what comes up. Take a few minutes to study portraits, and see if you can ascertain how to tell when a shot ought to be framed as a vertical and when it ought to be framed as a horizontal. Think about the differences between a "portrait" of a woman at the seashore, and a seashore scene that has a woman in it...

I would definately use the 50mm, I love mine for its sharpness at F4-6. Wouldn't use 18-55mm, can't advise on the 10-22mm but with the 55-250 step back 20' or so from subjects and zoom in.
On portraits if you incorporate the background it must be as beautiful as the subjects, otherwise separate the subjects from the background 10' or so and widen your aperature some for a blurred background. (note on the 50mm 1.8 wide open leaves a very narrow focus plane so maybe no bigger than f3.) Take note for distractions in background such as cars, trashcans, light poles growing out of peoples heads etc. Keep it simple in the back.

Well you have a crop sensor so your wide angle won't be that wide. They sell reflector stands. Wear white!!!

LOL. It's 10mm! The only thing that can go wider is a fisheye. EF-S lens!

Well you have a crop sensor so your wide angle won't be that wide. They sell reflector stands. Wear white!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back