Beginner Portraits

Thayli

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been taking 'serious' shots for about six months now, and have never put anything forward for feedback as I was still learning. Well I've got to the point now where I find myself repeating the same comfortable setups (and probably mistakes) over and over, and figure its probably time for people to give me a nudge where required. The three shots below are pretty representative of all the shots I've taken in the last 2 months. So I guess my question/request is, where are my biggest problems I should be working on in respect to these three? Thanks very much in advance to anyone who comments.

1 is just okay for me. I think it might be the lighting, but I can see that is what you might have been going for.

2. I mostly like it, however the hair fading in with the background detracts away from the photo a little.

3. I think 3 would be amazing if it was in focus. To me it looks way off.

I dunno...I looked at all of your shots in your TPF gallery...two things stand out to me. First--you are using more noise reduction/blurring than I think is needed and second, you are working in a very low-key,deep,dark style most of the time. I think just a little bit more fill light, or a little bit more light, might improve some of your portraits. I am assuming these are all self-portraits, which are typically much more-difficult to create than shooting the portrait images of other people, so, props on that. I think overall, the shots I looked at in your gallery are pretty good. I'd just like to see a wee bit more "light "on most of 'em, and a bit less softening or noise reduction. Overall, I think you've done consistently well in matching the lighting to the subject matter and pose/mood/concept.

Hi guys and thanks for the comments so fast.

To Parker, I get what you're saying about the second picture, get a light directly above. And the 3rd picture originally was much sharper, I was going for a 60's MGM soft glamour effect on the skin, which you have confirmed worked out awfully lol. But I appreciate the heads up. I have to dig the original back out tonight.

And Derrel, yeah I was kind of concentrating on the low-key side of of things, simply because I can only do these portraits at night usually, and I haven't got a huge amount in the way of light power. Still, I can definitly get a bit brighter than what I usually shoot at, so I'll try to concentrate on that. Noice reduction, yeah I'll hang my head in shame, I like the glossy magazine glamour pictures and am trying to emulate. I'll turn down my enthusiasm a bit.

Lastly, what is it about the shots that make you think these are self-portraits? The composition? They're not self's, and I'm guessing this is something else I should be working on. :lmao:

Thanks again guys, your time is much appreciated.

Im just spit-ballin here, but I'm guessing Derrel thought they were self-portraits because your avatar/profile pic thingy is the same girl in your photo-shoot. For most people, if they use a person as their profile pic, then that picture is of them. See that bird on for my picture? Thats really me. No, but you see how it could be confusing.

In order to throw off any confusion, you might want to change that to a picture of a flower, or anything else other than another person. If you dont mind confusing others, than keep it.;)

Last edited:
Thayli said:
>>SNIP>>>Lastly, what is it about the shots that make you think these are self-portraits? The composition? They're not self's, and I'm guessing this is something else I should be working on. :lmao: >>SNIP>>

Umm, it might be the unique user name and the avatar, in combination, subtly 'suggesting' or possibly predisposing the viewer (me in my case) toward reaching an erroneous conclusion...

Ah ok, well apologies for subtly suggesting they were self portraits, I honestly didn't realise I was doing so. The avatar is just a photo that I liked that I took myself, therefore thinking it became representative of me. I'll have to find a pic of me now lol. Thanks for the comments though guys.

(I'm not sure whats worse now though, the idea that my composition looked like it was self-shot, or the fact that I came across as female online :meh: ).

(I'm not sure whats worse now though, the idea that my composition looked like it was self-shot, or the fact that I came across as female online :meh: ).

You need to deepen your voice when you type. :sexywink:

#1 is the best one but it seems that the connection she has is with the camera which is typically great, but in this photo I think it would come across so much better if the "emotion" was focused on the baby, not your lens.

#2 has stronger light on her shoulder than her face. seems like it could have been lit better. unless that was your point

#3 overall just doesn't say anything to me. Very Flat.

Thanks for posting.
Cheers!

Thanks for posting.
Cheers!

Dude, without getting all hero worship on your ass, I'm pretty much happy for the rest of the day since you replied. Your Glam thread is the type of photography I can only dream about, (and I frequently do). Your skills and choice in subject is awesome.

And i'm going to shut up before people really do start thinking I'm female.

Thanks for all the comments guys, its really helpful. With any luck I'll get to try out your suggestions in the next couple of days.

#1 Dramatic lighting. Too much empty space behind the model. Distracting white line in frame.
#2 Lighting should be brighter on the model's face than her shoulders. Or not so much light on her shoulders, if you prefer. Face kinda good for low key.
#3 A whole lotta empty space around the model. No "edge defining" light. Full length shot but not enough light on her feet.

Now that people know you aren't a hot female. the quick replies will stop..

j/k!!

Y'know, you may be on to something there. Perhaps its time for me to reinvent myself!

In all honesty though guys, all the feedback has been great and its much appreciated. The only other people who have really looked closely at all my pics are those that are on the other side of the lens, (my main model being my wife above). As a consequence usually all I hear is "oh thats great," so its been really helpful to get some proper advice on what I should be doing better.

With any luck I'll have some improved shots in the near future, and you can all let me know if I've interpreted your guidance properly. I'll also let my wife know she's the one that has to do the posting. ;)

Thanks again guys, hope you all have a good day.

Most reactions

Back