PS Quietly Slipped In Some Amazing Updates To PS

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Didn't have much time for anything over the holidays, but this past week, I started looking into Adobe's new AI FireFly's features. Totally blown away by it, but one little nugget that hasn't received much attention is the Generative Fill that replaces Content Aware. I thought that the integration with PS was still a ways off, but low and behold, when I opened PS, it's now integrated there. I was working on a background for an upcoming Valentines Day shot. Using the Text To Image feature I described my vision as closely as possible, and first settled on the image on the left. After looking at the image and considering where my subject would be placed, I decided to opt for a real table in the shoot. So now the problem is what to do with the table in the AI image, removing it with all the detail around and behind was going to a problem. Here's what makes the Generative Fill so awesome. All I had to do was draw a rough selection around the table and glass and hit Generative Fill. Unlike Content Aware, which only considers the nearby pixels around the selection, Generative Fill considers the whole image and fills in what it thinks should be there. It generated three options, two of which were okay, but this was the best of the 3. There's a couple spots that could probably use refining but all in all, it's really close.

Untitled-1.jpg

Amazing indeed! I don't have PS, since I had to make some subscription decisions, but this really makes it tempting.

Amazing indeed! I don't have PS, since I had to make some subscription decisions, but this really makes it tempting.

With the AI text to image the most difficult part is describing what you want generated. The difference in one word can change the final result significantly. Generative Fill on the other hand is all AI. The fact that it can generate detail behind something by analyzing the whole scene is amazing.

Good to see the AI is now in PS. I was switching between the Beta to the regular PS. I don't see how Firefly is in PS. Is this still a separate app?

Good to see the AI is now in PS. I was switching between the Beta to the regular PS. I don't see how Firefly is in PS. Is this still a separate app?

I'm currently away ftom computer so I can't tell you exactly how to access. Firefly persay is not in PS, but the individual components like Generative Fill and Text to Image are. Chk out the new floating tool bar

Looks the same as the PS Beta version. That one I successfully extended the canvas. I don't like the floating bar so I pinned at the top.

Firefly I opened the app and tried what you did with the Sadie photo as a reference using my Oscar photo. Impressive! Downloaded the image and it was only 2048x2048

I haven’t edited anything in months. I guess I’ll be doing some learning over the winter!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back