BEGINNER STUDIO LIGHTING

blakejacobsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I mentioned in my first thread, I am a total beginner in regards to studio lighting. I've been photographing for 2-3 years now, although I only have experience using natural light. Now that I am dabbling with studio photography, I need some advice as to what I need for optimal results. I am going to be doing before-and-after glamour portraits at my mother's salon, but have no idea where to start in order to obtain good results. I've heard that you need 3 or more lights for good portrait work. Is this true? If so, what kind of lights do I need? I've educated myself on hot lights, monolights, and strobes. What brands do you recommend? Do you know of any kits that would make things easier for me? Soft boxes or umbrellas? Any information you can provide me with would be great! I am looking for quality products that will last me a good amount of time and are easy to use. However, I cannot dish out 1,000 dollars at this time. I'm looking at around 300-700 dollars.

Thanks!

You can do a pretty decent "glamour look" shot at a salon using a 40 inch light source above the eye level, with an under-chin reflector (white or silver) angled upward to bounce some of the main light up and onto the lower eyeball. This type of simple set-up has been used since the 1980's, and is still being used by the shooters on America's Next Top Model, etc,etc. it creates sparkly eyes, has delicate shadows, and is easy to do in a cramped location. Use a dark background, like black, and fire a gel onto it. Two lights, one reflector.

I am also looking at moving into some studio photography for family/friends.

I picked this up on Kijiji for about $140.... I thought it was a good deal... The umbrellas are only 33". But with a soft box or some other lighting... I think it will do the job.

Umbrellas.jpg

If you're going more toward $700 then I'd say you get AB 400s
they'll be much better than cheapo ebay lights

They're $225 a pop and the stand and umbrellas you can find off Amazon for around $55 -$70 so under $700 you can get them. Much better IMO

http://www.alienbees.com/flash.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back