Beginner wanting an Xsi

azfishfool

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you were to start with a refurbed xsi and a budget of around $900-1000 what equipment would you get? I am thinking of either the camera a nifty fifty and then other equip like a bag and tripod or the camera a nifty fifty and the sigma 17-70mm everyone raves about.

Prices from (adorama)
Xsi: $469
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus: 84.95
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro AutoFocus Super: 339

What tripod and bag would you get if going with the other option?

What kind of photography are you planning to do?

I would definitely get the 50mm, but you can find better than the 17-70. What kind of photography are you into? If you tell us that, we can recommend some good lenses.

I wouldn't get the Sigma. I'm not a fan of the variable aperture on a lens like this.

While you'll miss out on the wide angle end, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is $399 at Amazon and probably a better lens than the Sigma you want.

The Sigma 24-70 f2.8 is $419 at Amazon. You get a constant 2.8 aperture and its a great lens.

You can then start saving up for a wide angle to cover the 10-2x range such as the Sigma 10-20mm for about $420.

Bag = the only real answer is go to a store with lots of bag stock, with your equipment, and try out various bags until you find one that is comfortable. Many like Lowepro, but there are many other quality brands.

Tripod = depends on budget and what you plan on doing. Manfrotto is a great brand to look into.

The 50mm is a great buy.

some of everything I am into cars so car shows and landscapes would be my biggest ones currently. I am wanting the 50mm for portraits though.

some of everything I am into cars so car shows and landscapes would be my biggest ones currently. I am wanting the 50mm for portraits though.
For those things are are gonna wanna look at getting a wide angle maybe a sigma 10-20 or even a canon 10-22, but a sigma 18-50 2.8 might be a good first lens so that you can get a better feel for what you really would like to shoot

So you you get the extra lens first or the other equipment the tripod and bag? I am gonna get the 50mm regardless

Sounds like your mind is made up on that one..

If you plan an additional lens, you don't need to duplicate the one you have; so either get an ultra-wide angle that gives you some dramatic wides, or get a telephoto that will reach out...depending on what you like to shoot.

As for bags..........it's a matter of taste, but I have bags collecting dust. The ones with the most value are a Canon backpack that will hold the camera and some accessories in the field, and an old aluminum Haliburton that carries the extras when traveling..

for the price it seems like the 50mm is hard to beat from reviews. Looking for a bakpack style bag for the camera. Gonna wait on the telephoto would rather learn with a shorter lens so I dont zoom to compose the photo. Also the 30d is similar in price is the xsi or 30d a better buy? both would be refurbs.

xsi + kit lens + speedlite 430Ex + nifty-50

really the kit lens? and xsi over the 30d?

For your budget, yeah the kit lens + a flash. Fast lenses are nice but a flash is priceless in many indoor situations. 18-55mm kit lens is pretty handy. 18 is decently wide. Add another $160 and pick up a 75-300mm on amazon to hit the long range. Yes, not the sharpest lenses nor the fastest but good equipment to start out with.

I'm not sure about buying a refurb 30D. I can't imaging buying a refurb body that was replaced 2 models ago. Perhaps a used 40D would be a better option. I believe they can be had for around $600.

Being a noob myself, I wish I would have gone back and picked up the nifty fifty, and a wide angle and a flash over buying the kit lens and the 55-250 IS. I have the XSI and I'm happy with the camera, just disappointed (in myself) in the poor choice of equipment I purchased with it.

Being a noob myself, I wish I would have gone back and picked up the nifty fifty, and a wide angle and a flash over buying the kit lens and the 55-250 IS. I have the XSI and I'm happy with the camera, just disappointed (in myself) in the poor choice of equipment I purchased with it.

XSi, 50mm, flash, & wide angle lens would probably bust the $1k budget, not to mention frustrate the heck out of ya for not being able to get some telephoto range.

When starting out, I noticed how much more equipment I needed other than just a body + lens. I shelled out a lot of cash for a bag, tripod, filters, extra batteries (camera&flash), memory cards, etc. $1k is a pretty tight budget but you just need to shop wisely. =)

Most reactions

Back