Beginner Wedding Photography

Just something to add. Do a google search on wedding photography ask lots of questions, look at lots of images and read a lot.

Buy at least 3Gb of memory, shoot in RAW (you'll regret it if you don't), buy a diffuser for the SB600 if you get one.

I shoot RAW+Large jpg. that way I can use the jpgs if my exposure is bang on - often not! And I can edit the digital negs (RAWs) if I need to).
Cheers
Jim

3 GB isn't very much...especially if you shoot RAW+Large JPEG.

I would suggest getting more memory, 4 or 6 GB, then you shouldn't have to worry about running short...depending on how much you shoot.

I don't see any advantage to shooting RAW+JPEG. It takes very little effort to convert a RAW file to a JPEG. So if you want both files...you can just batch convert them after the fact. This will save you a lot of room on your cards when shooting.

3 GB isn't very much...especially if you shoot RAW+Large JPEG.

I would suggest getting more memory, 4 or 6 GB, then you shouldn't have to worry about running short...depending on how much you shoot.

I don't see any advantage to shooting RAW+JPEG. It takes very little effort to convert a RAW file to a JPEG. So if you want both files...you can just batch convert them after the fact. This will save you a lot of room on your cards when shooting.

My point there is he's not the main photographer... he probably has limited funds (although you can now buy a cheap 4Gb card from 7day shop for £17!!!)

The issue with shooting every image RAW is every image needs edited. Don't get me wrong this is what I do. But as a learner that may be a lot. I find that batch conversion is not the best way to convert images unless all shot under the same lighting conditions and same exposures.

He says he may want to get into wedding photography...so more than 3GB will be needed eventually...but I'll concede that 3 GB may be plenty for him, for now. More is always better though. I'm guessing that since it's his sister...he's going to be there all day...probably longer than the hired pro...so he may well shoot many more photos.

RAW vs JPEG is for him to decide. I used to be put off by the RAW workflow until I started using a good program. Now, editing & converting the RAW files doesn't take that long at all...especially when most of the shot are taken in the same location. If being a wedding photographer is the goal...then the more practice with RAW files, the better.

Thanks guys. All these replies are more than what I expected. I really appreciate the help. I'm sure my sister will as well. If there's anything else I should know, keep it coming.

He says he may want to get into wedding photography...so more than 3GB will be needed eventually...but I'll concede that 3 GB may be plenty for him, for now. More is always better though. I'm guessing that since it's his sister...he's going to be there all day...probably longer than the hired pro...so he may well shoot many more photos.

RAW vs JPEG is for him to decide. I used to be put off by the RAW workflow until I started using a good program. Now, editing & converting the RAW files doesn't take that long at all...especially when most of the shot are taken in the same location. If being a wedding photographer is the goal...then the more practice with RAW files, the better.

I agree Mike. if I didn't shoot RAW some of my best images may have had to have been deleted.! This was 2 stops under exposed......

MG_87111.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back