Bellefontaine Cemetery

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Calvary/Bellefontaine cemeteries in St. Louis are situated side by side in north city. Both are old and famous with many famous folks laid to rest. Calvary is bigger but Bellefontaine holds the larger collection of people who really had more money than they knew what to do with. A drive through Bellefontaine's 14 miles of road is surreal, almost other worldly. I've stopped by twice now, once in the rain (no photos) and two days ago with a blue sky. I plan to go back. Here's some first snaps. The 2nd photo needs only a 1 word introduction: Budweiser! The forth photo is one of Bellefontaine's newer mausoleums -- $5.5 million with no name attached. The family wishes to remain anonymous. I thought the whole point of having the biggest tombstone was to show who'd made it to the top. Fuji X-T4 w/16-55mm

belfontaine-4.jpg

belfontaine-2.jpg

belfontaine-3.jpg

belfontaine-1.jpg

Nice set. We had a similar couple many years ago built an expensive mausoleum, elaborate carved doors, outdoor carpeting, lighting, and music playing softly 24/7. Went by there a couple years ago, the doors and carpet are rotting, the lights broken, and music silent. Apparently the people and their heirs had a different undrrstang on forever. LOL

Both sets of my grandparents are buried there. I really need to go and visit someday as the last time I was there was when my last grandparent, mom's mom, was laid to rest in 1997.

Most reactions

Back