Best 3rd party ultra wide angle zoom lens?

SHaller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm leaving for paris in a little less than three weeks and I was having trouble deciding on what to buy/rent before I go. I've decided that I'm going to buy a wide angle and the canon 50mm 1.8 and rent the 24-105 f4. So my question is what 3rd party lens should i buy. Im pretty sure its between the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, the tokina 12-24 f4, and the tamron 10-24. I would love to have canon 10-22, but its to expensive for me especially since this lens won't be used as much as my others.

Did you leave out the Tokina 11-16mm because you want the extended range? I tried the Tamron for about a week and returned it. The range was nice but it just got way too soft on the edges.

Yes, I also left it out because of the price. I already somewhat ruled out the tamron, but wanted to leave it in the discussion just in case someone had some rave reviews about it.

I have the tamron, I havnt noticed sharpness around the edges to be too much of a problem. I can tell its there, but its not extreme enough to bother me.

Thanks for the responses, but I'm going to go ahead and order the tokina 12-24

The tokina is nice, that's the one I settled on. Good price and great build quality - I have not owned a 11-16 but heard the IQ is comparable.

Watch out for chromatic aberrations on the tokina 12-24

Watch out for chromatic aberrations on the tokina 12-24

I thought I had my mind made up.....:meh: Is the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 any better with the color fringing?

So the question is should i take the hit in vignetting and get the sigma or deal with the chromatic aberrations with the tokina. Also, supposedly the new tokina (dx II version) is a lot better in the ca department.

I own the Sigma 10/20 and love it! I'll be in Paris in a few months myself, can't wait!

I own the Sigma 10/20 and love it! I'll be in Paris in a few months myself, can't wait!

How is the build quality on the sigma? A few things that are turning me away are that I hear that Tokina has fantastic build quality and that the sigma vignettes.

Tokina 12-24 gets my vote! Use it all the time and love it for the price :)

So now it pretty much comes down to what is more manageable in adobe lightroom. The CA from the tokina or the light fall off and the distortion from the sigma?

Check out the sigma 8-16 juza . Its supposed to be really good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back