Best and most affordable micro and wide angle lens???

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wanting to add to my lens collection. I have a Nikon D700 and I have the Nikkor 50 1.4G and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 already. I am looking to add a macro lens and a wide angle lens so I have a nice set to shoot most anything. I would like some suggestions please. THANKS :D

I'm wanting to add to my lens collection. I have a Nikon D700 and I have the Nikkor 50 1.4G and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 already. I am looking to add a macro lens and a wide angle lens so I have a nice set to shoot most anything. I would like some suggestions please. THANKS :D

The expensive choices would be the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 for wide angle, and the Nikon 200mm f/4.0 Micro-Nikkor, but together that's about $3500

On the other hand, I've heard good things about the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Another idea is to look for an old manual focus 20mm f/3.5. It's pretty slow but I've heard it has pretty good optics. For macro, extension tubes might be a good idea to start, Kenko extension tubes are very nice, and are about $180. If not that, maybe a Nikon f/2.8 Micro is the way to go along with a telelconverter. Not sure what your definition of affordable is, but according to your gear already, you want good glass.

I will look around for a 20mm f/3.5. I've done some research on the Kenko tubes to use on my 70-200, but a lot of people are saying that they are kind of flimsy on such a heavy lens, especially when using them stacked. I would love a 105 Micro, but can't shell out that kind of $$ right now. I'm trying to recover from the cost of getting the D700 last Friday.

Since you have a d700, which is 100% compatibal with ais lenses, you should consider a 105mm f2.8 ais micro nikkor, typically cost around $200 or less used. The optical quality is just as good as the new version and the build quality/manual focus feel is much better.

For wide angle consider the 20mm f2.8 (ais or af). 20mm is very wide on full frame.

If youre pinching pennies the 105mm f4 micro nikkor is also a great macro lens, and only cost around $130.

Thanks for the info! I will look into these.

Most reactions

Back