Best Budget Tripod?

If you want a decent one that will last I suggest going with a Manfrotto or better. You can get them used all over the place as well for relatively cheap as well. I have a third party Giottos which I love. Its sturdy and durable. I much more prefer pan and tilt heads rather than the ball heads. They seem much sturdier and the ball heads for me have never been steady. Even though listed to take MUCH heavier equipment than I have and tightened to its max I still found it to shift and not hold like my pan and tilt does.

I much more prefer pan and tilt heads rather than the ball heads.

I never liked ball heads. They're fine locked down but they feel all floppy when loosened. Maybe really expensive ones are better? I like gear heads myself.

:drool:

629979.jpg

(Arca-Swiss C1 Cube Geared Head w / Arca-Type Flip-Lock 8501000.1)

Yeah. A $415 ball head is exactly what i'd call expensive. i've really only used cheapies.

Just curious, how does this ball head keep the camera from pivoting when unlocked? My experience has been if you're not holding the camera, it tends to want to fall.

Manfrotto is my fav. budget tripod, don't skimp when it comes to holding up your gear
bigthumb.gif

So, the lesson is: you get what you pay for.

So, the lesson is: you get what you pay for.

Abso-Freaking-Lutely.

Funny thing about that, I did a search and have yet to find a post from someone similar to....."I bought a Gitzo Basalt tripod legs that is rated to support 3 times the weight of my heaviest gear." Do you think a $35.00 Best Buy tripod would replace it ok?"

Last edited:
I saw a really nice tripod at Bestbuy that I'm thinking about buying. It's a Sunpak Platinum Plus Ultra 7000...cost $89... It's really super solid and doubles as a monopod...

^^ No offense, but I am sort of doubting that you know what makes a tripod "good". I thought my Velbon was a pretty good tripod until I handled a Bogen 3001 in the $200 range - and that's kind of the lower end of "good" tripods.

Personally, I think Sunpaks are WAY overpriced for what you're actually getting.

^^ No offense, but I am sort of doubting that you know what makes a tripod "good". I thought my Velbon was a pretty good tripod until I handled a Bogen 3001 in the $200 range - and that's kind of the lower end of "good" tripods.

Personally, I think Sunpaks are WAY overpriced for what you're actually getting.

Oh come now, It's from Best Buy so it must be good, besides they will sell you a replacement warranty for only 50% of what the thing cost in the first place. So your covered.

I never buy the replacement warrenty. Those sunpak ABS heads are as solid as a bowl of jello.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back