Best Budget Tripod?

LawrenceChiu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are some recommended budget tripod?
Used to own like an Amazon Vista tripod for like $30. Did the job and was safe, but I think it's time for a true upgrade.
Maybe around $300? I heard tripod goes up to like $2k, but I certainly do not have the money for it. I'm sure anything is an upgrade compare to my cheap $30 one.
I have a Canon XSi (pretty light) with a 70-200mm f/4 IS lens attached to it as the heaviest.
Prefer a tripod with a handle maybe or light weighted? Not too picky though, just show me what you would buy if you have a $300 budget or around that area.

$300 budget for a tripod is actually pretty good-I have a Manfrotto Pro that cost about that with the head. It's a pretty heavy thing though, so I wouldn't suggest it if you want something to carry around. For the most part, you can't go wrong with Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giottos, 3 Legged Thing. Carbon fiber is the most lightweight material, but definitely pricey.

Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and a ball head of choice. Things are built like a tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the 055 & Ballhead, but take your shopping to Craig's List - you can often get a LOT more for your money. I picked up a mint-condition set of 055 legs for $60 on Craig's List last year!

Tripods are like Volvos: Unless you're making a status statement, there is no point buying them new. They depreciate very quickly and a quality tripod will last forever.

^^^^

Unless there is a particular reason (some sort of unique design), just buy used. So many photogs buy these things to go all serious.. never use them (for various reasons)... and resell them online.

My most stable and most used tripod is a Bogen 3021 pro with 3 way pan purchased from a camera swap for $35 many years ago....

I bought a used prob. from the 70s Tiltall that is a tank. I think I paid like 60 bucks.

Tripods are like Volvos: Unless you're making a status statement, there is no point buying them new. They depreciate very quickly and a quality tripod will last forever.

And like buying a used Volvo you never know what all is wrong with it and why the Original Owner is selling it all of a sudden. I have every set of good legs I ever bought, all three of them, and all three were purchased for specific reasons that still apply today. Nothing wrong with used if you look at it carefully, but then there really is nothing wrong with new either, if you put a little forethought into the purchase and look to the future instead of just today.

Plus unlike buying a used Volvo, of which these guys, ( Car Talk ) get at least one call a week about problems with a used Volvo, there are no tripod leg Mechanics on the air. Be they funny or not.

Last edited:
If you buy a used "amateur-owned" tripod, you're probably on firm ground....but buying something used that has seen heavy pro or hardcore amateur use can be a bit sketchy. From what I have seen on the web, there are a number of of the newer "Chinese cheapie" carbon fiber tripods which are breaking at the top pivot areas...just snapping right off...of course, that's a bad bad place for a tripod leg to break...

One thing I have personally seen on a few heavily-used, older Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum pods is that those with really heavy use get "sloppy", and need to have the tightening screws replaced or re-washered. When buying a used tripod, you absolutely MUST check out the top area, where the legs come together, and see if the mechanism there is sound, and if it is loose, see if it can be tightened up.

I got a $120 manfrotto 293 from b&h. It came with a Ballhead. My heaviest is 70-200 2.8 with 7D. It works real fine for me :)

LawrenceChiu said:
What are some recommended budget tripod?
Used to own like an Amazon Vista tripod for like $30. Did the job and was safe, but I think it's time for a true upgrade.
Maybe around $300? I heard tripod goes up to like $2k, but I certainly do not have the money for it. I'm sure anything is an upgrade compare to my cheap $30 one.
I have a Canon XSi (pretty light) with a 70-200mm f/4 IS lens attached to it as the heaviest.
Prefer a tripod with a handle maybe or light weighted? Not too picky though, just show me what you would buy if you have a $300 budget or around that area.

The words "budget" and "tripod" should never be used in the same sentence. I spent enough to buy a RRS tripod trying to find that "good budget tripod". Needless to say, I never found it. Don't buy one until you can but a good one. You will be glad you did and it will last you a lifetime.

Volvos are considered status symbols?

Any new car is. It's just Ford doesn't meet the other requirement of lasting forever.

TheBiles said:
Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and a ball head of choice. Things are built like a tank.

Agreed, solid purchase.....

Most reactions

Back