Best buy.....WOW.

Txaggie08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had two different customers come in to our shop int he last two days with the best whoppers I've ever heard about a camera.

The first- the "associate" selling him the d40 told him his battery would not last more than 30 minutes without recharging, but that he could sell him a couple of battery packs that would last at least 2 hours......

The second- That the 70-300 USM IS they had was some special lens with "dual stabilizers". I'm aware of the dual mode that some IS units have, but this one was told that one was able to stop shake, and the other motion blurr.

Do they not even TRY to train there associates. Beginner beware.....if it sounds stupid coming from a best buy, count on it being a sales pitch.

I've verbally smacked around a couple of Best Buy salesmen on computer lies on occasion. One guy was selling some old couple some insanely powerful computer that they absolutely and clearly did not need. Totally obnoxious.

I don't buy computer components from best buy unless it's absolutely necessary...

I could not work there. I cannot bring myself to sell there crappy warranties. I mean We're pushed to sell ESP's, but ours are really not conditional(it's something I buy for myself....)

I bought my D40 at FutureShop (same thing as Best Buy in Canada). Not because of the salespeople, but because I was there and it was the right price.

The guy tried to sell me an extended warranty for $110, which basically involved having "four free cleanings", each costing $100 otherwise. Right, so I'm to believe that FutureShop is going to foot the bill of $290 for me....out the kindness of their corporate heart? Yeah...

Best Buy and similar...

I look at their ads in the newspaper. I see something that interests me. I look at the specs listed (which are usually useless specs) and if it still interests me, I go to the store. At the store, when approached with "Can I help you?" I just tell them I'm looking. If the item is good enough and comparable to what I'm looking for, I buy. If not, I leave.

I learned long ago not to listen to any of their "associates" at any of these Big Box stores. My girlfriend way back in high school (1989-90) bought her first computer from one of these stores. I told her not to buy one until I was with her, but she and her mom went while I was working at my summer job. She came home with "the latest and greatest" computer according to the sales "associate". This was when computers were 486 processors, CD drives were just coming out for computers, and 5 1/4 inch floppies were nowhere to be found. This "latest and greatest" computer was a 286, no CD and had the 5 1/4inch floppy.

It never worked. She took it back to them 3 times and they could never find anything wrong with it. I finally had a chance to go with her and told them to give her money back. They insisted on testing it. Do whatever, I'm not leaving without the cash returned. As the guy moved the computer from the box to his bench, it slipped out of his hands and smashed all over the floor. "I guess you'll get your money back now..." he says. "Doesn't matter, I was walking out of here with her money either way."

The worst part is you can't even trust the specs. Manufacturers build cheaper copies of items that you can buy online from places like newegg that have nearly identical specs, and yet often are not QUITE as good. They simply omit certain key bits of information. Hard drives are a great example of this.

Do they not even TRY to train there associates

Seems to me they were trained pretty well. Where you see incompetence, I see the up sell. These guys aren't trying to get the customer to be what they "need" they are trying to get the customer to buy what Best Buy (and any other joint) wants them to buy.

I worked at RadioShack for about a year and a half, and when they trained me they wanted me to be pushie and sell sell sell. I could not do it and I got more sales than most because I could relate! I hate going to a store and knowing more than the associates there... They need to be trained better, but it is fun sometimes to make them look dumb. haha

I work in Best buy-customer service rep(which is great).
Each employee does do training in the department that the work in, and in our store if you work in a certain department it is usually because you enjoy the product you are selling-we have a few guys who build computers who work in computer sales and the digital imaging department are camera enthusiasts. (not always the case-but common in our store) So most employees are knowledgeable.
I went in to Ritz the other day and its small with three employees, and they sucked, and that was a specialty store!
We offer service plans to (geek squad black tie protection plans, a long name that i get tongue tied saying) but after working in customer service and seeing how many peoples stuff breaks out of manufacturers guarantee, these are definably worth the money. especially if you get accidental coverage.
But yeah It does suck when staff dont know what they are talking about!

I used to work at Circuit City and their training sucked hardcore. Their training was all MP, MP, MP. None of the other people I worked with even owned an SLR or did much research on their own, but they were supposed to sell them effectively. However, if you go into a store like that thinking you will get quality information than you are kidding yourself.

I know I'm in the minority, but my experience with best buy was ok. first salesman was completely ignorant (and this coming from a real newbie), but I just requested his manager, who was more knowlegable and able to answer my questions about the canons. he admitted to not knowing much about the nikons and went to get the 'nikon guy' so I could talk to him too.
I went home, thought about what they told me, researched some more online and then purchased my camera from best buy.
I went back two weeks later with a better price quote and they matched it no problem, refunding a couple hundred bucks between the camera and accessories.
I still go in there with questions, which the salesman happily answers, even though I'm not currently in the market for anything else.
so I'm not unhappy.
I think if you want a really really knowlegable salesman, a camera store like B&H is probably a better place to shop. and yeah, they were pushy about my 'needing' the extra's and warranties, etc, but if you know that going in, you don't get taken.

I bough a 500 dollar camcorder they told me it was compatible with a MAC computer..I used it 3 times and on the 17th day i decided to put them on my computer...long behold it wont work on my mac =( tried to take it back and the 14 days were up...now im trying to sell the dang thing and no one wants it...gerrrr....haha...Made me so mad they told me it would then wont take it back cause it doesnt. BS! haha

Ya when I was shopping for cameras, I went to Best buy and did the, feel touch, test how it feels in my hands thing. and there was a salesman and we said we were looking for SLR's. We were pointed to this woman who "Knows everything you ever wanted to know about SLR's and much more, she is amazing" OK so I had already been researching SLR's for like 2 months. She said lots of false things. Like they had XSI, D40, D60, D80, XTI, and the 40D. the first false thing she said was that the nice feature of the XSI is that since it is new it has live view which no other slr has. UMMMM, thats crap, lots of them do. I stopped listening because I clearly knew way more than she did. Then my dad asked her which she recommended and she said they are all good, and it would be very hard to pick one, and he said which one do you have? Oh, Umm I actually don't have one. Oh well than how can you tell us about what you like about each one if you don't even have one? I'd say ask one a forum like this, not in a store where who knows what experience the sales person has.

Most reactions

Back