Best camera for purple/violet colors.

Egernfyren

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife have a small business sewing slings (baby carriers) and when she photographs her products for her website, purple and violets comes out more red or blue than they are in reality.

She is considering buying a new camera (currently she is using her smartphone or our Olympus Mju 715 SW).

Which camera would be best for capturing these elusive purple and violet colors? (Not too expensive).

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like a color balance problem. Do you have a way to edit the photos before posting them to your website?

It's not the camera, it's how it's being used.

I used to have that issue when I first got my canon, I turned off "auto lighting optimization" in the menu and viola, purples and reds were normal again.

Check your settings.

Why are you making prints for a web site?

Your problem can be solved with multiple levels of escalation:

Level 1: You need a camera that will allow you to set a custom white balance and then you need to use that feature.
Level 2: For even more precision you need a camera that saves raw files, but note that this can require considerable time in processing the photos and knowledge/skill.

Joe

I think they are just putting them on their website. OP, I would just buy a decent point and shoot camera and learn how to get proper white balance. Showing proper color on the web can be really challenging because it has to channel through so many mediums first then be viewed on someone else's device or computer screen.

I think they are just putting them on their website. OP, I would just buy a decent point and shoot camera and learn how to get proper white balance. Showing proper color on the web can be really challenging because it has to channel through so many mediums first then be viewed on someone else's device or computer screen.

I'm lost then. What is 'the lab' doing in the process?

It sounds to me more like a PEBCAK issue.

Sparky, you have me lost here too...I don't see anything about prints or lab anywhere...are you replying to the right thread?

Level 1: You need a camera that will allow you to set a custom white balance and then you need to use that feature.

If your camera can't do this, you could buy a WhiBal card. Take a picture of that before the photos of the products, then use that as a reference target to set a custom white balance in PP. You will need to take another reference picture any time the lighting changes.

My wife have a small business sewing slings (baby carriers) and when she photographs her products for her website, purple and violets comes out more red or blue than they are in reality.

She is considering buying a new camera (currently she is using her smartphone or our Olympus Mju 715 SW).

Which camera would be best for capturing these elusive purple and violet colors? (Not too expensive).

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Your solution would probably be more simply some software that supports adjusting the hue of an image. Purple is easy to record. It's a spectral combination of red and blue. Violet on the other hand is a spectral primary beyond blue and cameras have serious problems recording it. You can spend $10k on a camera, point it at a violet disco light, and end up with a perfectly blue picture because cameras have serious problems with violet as beyond a deep blue the cameras will have to start faking violet by making it purple.

Software with hue adjust will allow you to push the blues in the direction of red, or the other direction depending on which way you want to adjust and that will allow you to tune your purples appropriately.

Thanks for your inputs.

As I read your answers our only option is to use the manual white balance and perhaps the RAW file format and then adjust the photos in an appropriate software before uploading them to the website.

Do you know if any camera manufacturers plan to manufacture a chip that can handle the violet shades?

Thanks for your inputs.

As I read your answers our only option is to use the manual white balance and perhaps the RAW file format and then adjust the photos in an appropriate software before uploading them to the website.

Do you know if any camera manufacturers plan to manufacture a chip that can handle the violet shades?

Sensors can handle violet shades.

Thanks for your inputs.

That sounds like a lot of work for a few pictures for your wife's website. I would just invest in a good point and shoot camera that has the ability to adjust white balance.

Most reactions

Back