Best canon lens for large family portraits (10-15 people, natural light)

depends on how far back you can stand.
I would use as long a lens as i could (up to maybe 200mm or so) while still leaving some room around the group in the frame for cropping.

if you have lots of room you have tons of great lens options.
50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 70-200mm..

if you dont have a lot of room you might have to go wider until you can get them all in the frame.
35mm, 20mm, 17mm....

these lenses will frame differently depending on whether you have an FX or DX camera.

Thank you for your reply. I used a 70-200 mm lens once for a big group and did not have good luck.Breezeway Farms Team Photos - Denise Renee Photography. The client wants a quick family shot before a brunch at a beachfront restaurant. Tall order for noob. Lol. I have a canon 5d Mark iv and a few lenses but nothing wider than a 50mm

p
a wider lens may help in some situations but for portraits you usually want to stand back with some distance. Also lighting is important so if it's all 'natural' get the best position
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Presumably this will be indoors, so use a wider lens and several lights. Pose the group in a casual style and position your speedlights and modifiers at strategic locations. Avoid the "lineup" style. After the group shot, get some additional shots of smaller groups, such as three or four people at a table, for instance.

Presumably this will be indoors, so use a wider lens and several lights. Pose the group in a casual style and position your speedlights and modifiers at strategic locations. Avoid the "lineup" style. After the group shot, get some additional shots of smaller groups, such as three or four people at a table, for instance.

Outdoors. On the beach. Natural light. I don't own any lights and I'm looking for recommendations on which wide angle lens would be the best investment for my next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

.... I don't own any lights and I'm looking for recommendations on which wide angle lens would be the best investment for my next purchase.
PixMedic already answered your question based on a lack of information to give a good answer.

For instance.
[1] How far away are you going to be from the subjects
[2] are the subjects 15 wide, 8x7, 6x5x4 ?

until those are answered we truthfully wouldn't have a good recommendation
other than a generic recommendation .. say the Canon 24-70/2.8
a nice wide angle zoom lens.

Of course, the closer you are to the subjects the wider angle you'll have to use. The wider the subjects thus the wider angle you'll have to use. The more stacked the subjects are the less wide angle you'll have to use along with the further you are away from the subjects the less wide angle you have to be.

Of course you'll want to be close enough to give instructions. And have them stacked appropriately to keep it more condensed to see people in more detail.

Last edited:
They dont call it the nifty fifty for nothing!

I'd be looking at a 24-70 for the next wider lens. Although for a group portrait on ff I'd imagine the 50 is perfect.

To answer the original question which Canon lens is best for..... then of course my recommendation its the 70-200 2.8 IS USM L. Just cause.

Most reactions

Back