Best first lens for Sony a7 II Camera?

Miroslava Kotekova

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What first lense would you suggest for traveling photos, shooting mostly beach whole body photos? Not too big and heavy. Maybe some what could do the blurry backround effect as well? Still deciding which camera to buy so just wondering if the same lense will always fit to all sony mirrorless cameras. But most likely for a7 II or a7III or a7rIII or a7 6000.
And should I get the kit lens as well or thats just waist od money and should buy right away some better one. Or kit lens plus the better blurry one?

Last edited:
If you are in the USA you should get the A7II+28-70mm kit for the awesome discount price ... or just the Sony 24-70mm

If you are in the USA you should get the A7II+28-70mm kit for the awesome discount price ... or just the Sony 24-70mm

Oh yes thanks for reminding me. I edited the question. I wanted to ask if it's even worth it to get the kit lens (its 200$ on top of body) or just buy body plus some better lense. Or kit lens plus better blurry lense.

I bought mine with the kit lens since I didn’t have the money for anything else at the time. It’s a pretty decent lens but I haven’t used it since I bought a couple of their g master lenses. The g master lenses are pretty heavy though so I wouldn’t recommend them to you based off of what you said you wanted.

For Sony E-mount, there are two different types of lenses available. Some only work with APS-C sensors (a6000) which are smaller, so the sensor essentially crops the middle part of the image. Others work for both APS-C and full-frame sensors (a7 series). The latter are usually more expensive, a bit bigger and heavier.
I´d suggest going with the kit lens and maybe get a 50mm f1.8 (or 85mm f1.8 depending on your budget, needs and willingness to carry a slightly bigger lens) for the blurred background shots.

I had the kit 28-70, 50 1.8 and a 70-200 f/4 with my A7ii. The 28-70 is an ok lens but it will most likely serve the needs in most situations. If you've got the budget then the 24-70 2.8 G is a better option for an all round lens, but as with all Sony lenses it's pretty expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back