What's new

Best fixed f2.8 off brand lens for Nikon??

Which lens should I get?


  • Total voters
    21
Any comments about front focusing issues in low light situations? I have read a few reviews on B&H stating that they had this problem
 
No front/rear focus issues with my Tamron.
 
Any comments about front focusing issues in low light situations? I have read a few reviews on B&H stating that they had this problem

The Sigma hunts pretty bad in low light from my experience but once it locked on it was always accurate.
 
No front/rear focus issues with my Tamron.

Any comments about front focusing issues in low light situations? I have read a few reviews on B&H stating that they had this problem

The Sigma hunts pretty bad in low light from my experience but once it locked on it was always accurate.

Hmmm that may be a problem because the reason why I want a fixed f2.8 lens is because i will most likely be using this for indoor shootings but if the lens is slow at focusing, i might have consider the tamron.

btw icassell, do you think you can post some indoor pics taken with the tamron lens?
 
I haven't noticed any focusing issues, but maybe it's just me simply not realizing them. I might have to do some playing/testing with it later this evening.
 
Another Sigma vote here, I tried the Tamron first and it malfunctioned on the D90. Never had a single problem with the Sigma (knock on wood).

Focus is fast and accurate as can be, in low light my experience has been quite positive as well.
 
I'll try to remember when I get home ....

Here's a couple of links in the meantime ...

photoSIG » Lens: Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8

photoSIG » Lens: Tamron 17-50 2,8 XR DI

photoSIG » Lens: Tamron 17-50 2.8


lol thanks a lot icassell but if its a hassle dont even worry about it ;)

and this is why deciding on which lens to buy is a hard task... every person on this board has had a different experience with each lens. theres no guarantee that the tamron or sigma will work perfectly with my camera so i guess in the end, it just comes down to...luck?
 
Well you just have to pay close attention to which version people are referencing.
 
Not low light stuff ... but this photo was taken with my Tamron 17-50mm

3592499317_2e74b8f618_b.jpg
 
Here's one with the Tamron and my 30D handheld in available light indoors at St. Marks Cathedral in Venice:

Shot at 22mm f/2.8 1/80sec ISO 400


_MG_4813.jpg
 
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro 100% Crop

4288778060_4359039fbc.jpg
 
nice thanks guys

is this a good time to buy either the sigma or tamron lens? meaning i dont want to buy the lens today then in a month, they release a new version of the lens which results in a price drop of the previous lens..

i guess the real question is will sigma or tamron release newer models of these lenses in the near future? (near meaning 1-3 months)
 
Since the VC version of the Tamron is relatively new, I don't see them releasing a new one in the short-term.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom