Best Landscape and 4k Video Camera

Camden Roberts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been shooting with a canon 6d for a year now with the 24-105 f4 and a rokinon 14 f2.8, but would like to move to a different camera that fits all of my purposes. I was going to just get a gh4 and then an adapter for use with my lenses but I would really like to have one camera to use. I don't mind adapting lenses as I don't do much sports, but would still like decent autofocus out of it. I need a camera that can shoot 4k video very well (preferably C4K) in a somewhat small format (not 1Dx mk ii size video). I need it to perform well at ISOs up to at least 6400 (minimal noise [maybe some nr]). And it must be a fairly large megapixel count for landscapes and for portrait work (at least 24). I have been looking at cameras like the a7rii, d500, and the omd e-m1 mkii. All of which are good cameras (leaning a bit towards the a7rii) but would like to know if there are any alternatives (preferably ones that would be easy to use canon glass on [so not the d500])... Thanks for you help :)

Also if you could help out by possibly adding pictures from the camera with lens + EXIF data that would be great!

The Canon lenses will work easiest with a Canon body. Can you tell the difference between an image shot on a 12mp sensor vs. one shot on a 24mp sensor?

A dedicated video camera is your best bet for 'the best' 4k.

The Canon lenses will work easiest with a Canon body. Can you tell the difference between an image shot on a 12mp sensor vs. one shot on a 24mp sensor?
Personally I can, not because I can see more detail, but because I would like to crop and print large prints...

That's why I'm looking at the A7rii rather then the A7sii

Personally I can, not because I can see more detail, but because I would like to crop and print large prints...

And what prints have you done from the denser sensors compared to the ones you have done from the less dense one? What was the difference?

And what prints have you done from the denser sensors compared to the ones you have done from the less dense one? What was the difference?
I did a 10x15 at 20 megapixels and it was good, I did a 20x30 at 18 a while ago and it was not the most impressive, and I don't have many prints that I've done that are more than 20 megapixels other than some panoramas I've done...

the one answer I don't know if when the cameras are in 4k, I know the D500 is only using part of the sensor to give it the proper perspective. I don't know about the other cameras. So you could get away with a proper crop camera at 4k versus a full frame sensor which isn't going to use the entire sensor to save money.

I have 4k on my D500 and I, like you, want to pull single images out of it. I haven't attempted that as of yet though.

Most reactions

Back