Best Lens for Rebel XTi

Pixie42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've decided on buying the Canon Rebel XTi. I'm using it to take mostly portrait type pictures, and occasionally nature photos for my own amusement.

I need a lens that will last me awhile and is good quality. I chose the XTi because I have a 1500 dollar budget and I really wanted to get a good lens for my buck as well as a cam.

Suggestions? Thanks!

I'm no pro, but from my research and everybody here, the 50mm f1.8 lens is hard to beat for the money as far as a portrait lens.

Me no pro either, but I would agree with the 50, a lot of people here talk about that lens. Since you've got almost a grand of money left, take a look at the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

My suggestion is to get the 50mm 1.8 for portraits and get the 70-200 4L for wildlife and portraits. The 50mm runs about $70 NIB and the 70-200 4L runs about $575 NIB but you can find them used for less than that. I just picked up a used 70-200 4L for $400 and I love it.

Awesome, thank you all.

I've also seen some amazing shots on this forum from the Sigma 70-300 APO lens. I think it's a F4-5.6 lens and very budgeted price at just over 200. Look at member doenoe's zoo pictures. His were taken with the Sigma lens I believe.

what about the 24-70 L? Will it fit in your budget?

I'm looking at $400 max right now, but in the next 4-6 months will be upgrading to a more expensive lens so I will definitely be looking into this particular lens.

Both the 50 f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4 L are great lenses. If you can, splurge for the 50 f/1.4. A bit more but you get better build quality, a USM motor and 1/3 stop of aperature. Carefull with the 70-200 f/4 L. It will spoil you and you will demand a lot more of lesser lenses. Canon's way of getting you to buy the other lenses in the L line-up. I am a admitted victim.:grumpy: Ditch the stock 18-55 lens if you can and go with the body kit only or the 17-85/ 28-135 kit lenses with IS. You will be better served.

Okay I found this lens for sale, used, online for $360 bucks. Canon EF 28-135mm f 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Is this something worth investing in?? If I go for this expensive one, should I not go for the 50 f 1.4 or will I appreciate having both?

Okay I found this lens for sale, used, online for $360 bucks. Canon EF 28-135mm f 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Is this something worth investing in?? If I go for this expensive one, should I not go for the 50 f 1.4 or will I appreciate having both?

I just bought a Canon XTi. I went with this lens because a pro photographer on another site had good things to say. I have not been disappointed yet. The Image Stablization (IS) is an awesome thing. The lens is nice and sharp over most of the range and it even makes for a pretty passable low zoom range Macro lens (though that techincally is not what it is used for.) The only gripes I have heard about this lens is a) its still not the quality and clarity of an L lens, but for hundreds less who cares, b)wide open and at 28mm you may get slight vignetting (more so when you add more filters). But that MAY have been on film cameras, so I don't know how the 1.6 crop factor will affect things.

Buy it. Buy it and don't look back.

Brian

Wonderful general use, all-around, do-it-all zoom = 24-105L f4L IS
Wonderful portrait, light lens = 24-70 f2.8L
Wonderful wide zoom for street shooters = 16-35 f2.8L
Good, general use lens on a budget = 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS

You can pair any of these lenses with the zippy, cheapie, but goodie 50mm f1.8.

Look at the price difference between the body only and with the kit lens. Can you get a decent lens for that little, $100 to 110 usually, that is useful and pretty good? In other words, take the lens, it's a deal.

Most reactions

Back