Best Lenses for...

There are several good walk-around type lenses from Canon. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm guessing you already have the EF-S 18-55mm IS kit lens. Did you also get the EF-S 55-200mm IS lens?

What kind of budget are you working with? And do you know what zoom range you're looking for? I use either a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or a EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM as my walkaround lens. If I had the money I would love to use either the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM or EF 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM as my walkaround lens.

Have you thought about trying a prime lens as a walkaround lens? A few of my shooting buddies use the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM as their daily walkaround lens.

For sports, you really want a 70-200 f/2.8. They're expensive, but if you stick with Sigma or Tamron, you can get one for under $700 used. They're good lenses for the price as well.

For portraiture, a 24-70 f/2.8 is a good lens. I think Sigma or Tamron have one for about $300 new.

Actually I'd use the 70-200 f2.8 for portraiture as well... portraits look much better at longer focal lengths. The only benefit of <70mm for portraits is the working distance.

Actually I'd use the 70-200 f2.8 for portraiture as well... portraits look much better at longer focal lengths. The only benefit of <70mm for portraits is the working distance.

You need a lot of room to get wide enough with a 70-200 on an APS-C camera for portraiture. I was about 10' back with my 30D and still didn't have the focal length I needed. I agree that it can take better photos, it's just not ideal for most people.

Unless you want to do UWA portraiture that is. Then it's worthless.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-Telephoto-Lens-Cameras/dp/B00009USVW]Amazon.com: Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

My vote is on this one.

Most reactions

Back