Best macro lens (any brand)

There is none. Tons of macro lenses, and each is good for something.

- AF might be important if you try to shoot insects. The focus has to go extremely long ways to focus this closely, though. The Nikon AF-S 60mm f2.8 micro is popular for its fast focus, but its kind of too short for insects (not enough working distance).

- For non-moving subjects, one typically doesnt focus at all. You select whatever magnification you want, then you MOVE THE CAMERA instead of changing focus (since that would change magnification). Its also much faster to work this way, too.

- IS/VR might be important for handheld shots, especially since macro magnifies any camera movement AND because you typically close the aperture a lot, there isnt much light and thus you might want to use long shutterspeeds.

- 1:2 or 1:1 ? For example, the Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100mm is extremely sharp, but is "only" 1:2. IIRC the AF 55mm f2.8 also only has 1:2. Same for the PC-E 45mm f2.8 micro and PC-E 85mm f2.8 micro.

- In general, macro lenses are the sharpest lenses. But if you want to use them for portraiture, sharpness isnt that needed really (except for babies), and when you use them for macro, typically you want to stop them down because of the extremely shallow depth of field.

- Long focal lenght are useful for insects, but they make the lens a lot more expensive too.

- But if you want to shoot a baby, a shorter focal length like the AF 55mm f2.8 micro might actually be better.

- For product shots, a zoom like the old Nikon AF 70-180mm f4.5-5.6 micro might be ideal.

- What about extreme macro ? Canon has a lens (cant remember its name) of 65mm focal length that offers 1:1 to 5:1 macro (but cannot focus any further).

- Really Macro is a GLORIOUS place for Tilt/Shift lenses, especially for the tilting, because the extremely shallow depth of field. That would be for example the Nikkor PC-E 85mm f2.8 micro (only 1:2 macro)

- etc

On top of that, of course many people want to use their macro lens for example for portraiture as well, which makes non-macro considerations enter the picture.

So yeah, a TON of factors can give you all kinds of final decisions about what you want.

As the most popular macro, thats probably the Tamron 90mm. I read that the Sigma 105mm is quite good as a general lens; it has VR. THe original Nikon 105mm micro unfortunately is unpopular for certain uses because of too strong CAs.

Personally I would love to get a Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100mm with Autofocus and Image stabilization as the most general solution, but oh well, no such luck.

Overread: I'm using the sony nex7....
I dont know much about that system .. IIRC theres a pretty good Minolta 100mm macro lens, though. With a Sony E to Sony A adapter, much of its functionality might be preserved.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable suggestions. I'm leaning towards the tubes since it is just something fun to toy with right now!

Thanks everyone for all the valuable suggestions. I'm leaning towards the tubes since it is just something fun to toy with right now!

FWIW, I started with a 25mm tube -- lots of fun, decent results, but really touchy to focus. Later, I picked up a Canon 100mm macro, and it's one of my favorites, now. Much easier and more versatile than tubes. If you wind up liking the tubes, keep this in mind, as you'll likely enjoy a dedicated lens even more.

I have a tamron 90 2.8 that's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find a used Leica 100 f4 with bellows on eBay for not that much money and as long as you know you won't be using it handheld ever, it's about as good as it gets. I've even used it on a gigapan pro to generate very large macro shots for wall-sized prints. Extraordinary build quality and image quality.

I've only ever used my Canon 100mm f/2.8L with the hybrid IS. I've read so much about the Canon MP-E 65, and looked at many shots taken with it, they are nothing short of amazing! But they say it takes MUCH practice to master it. Good luck with whatever you get.................. it's super fun shooting macro!!

Jumping Spider
by The Oklahoma Kid, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back