Best Mid-Range DSLR for a Beginner

What do you shoot most? If it's people or sports, I'd definitely say Nikon. If it's landscape, architecture, or other stationary subjects, perhaps Canon might be better. Nikon's AF technology is noticeably better than Canon, especially in low light.

I purchased a D7000 for my wife in January, and I've been very impressed with it. The D7000 is a great mid-grade consumer body with plenty of features and capabilities for the novice photog to grow into.

Also, the menus, ergonomics and button placement on Nikons are just more natural and enjoyable to me. Nothing against Canon, but when I hold a Canon body, it doesn't feel nearly as good a fit as a comparable Nikon. Especially if you have large hands...

For me it would be a tie between the K-5 and the D7000, with the K-5 having a slight edge with ergonomics and in-camera vibration control. However, Nikon has a big edge in lenses and expandability. The K-5 is the top of the line for Pentax and the D7000 is still classified as a entry level in the Nikon line. As for Canon? They are due to upgrade everything so you might want to wait around and see what comes up. (jmo)

What do you shoot most? If it's people or sports, I'd definitely say Nikon. If it's landscape, architecture, or other stationary subjects, perhaps Canon might be better. Nikon's AF technology is noticeably better than Canon, especially in low light.

I purchased a D7000 for my wife in January, and I've been very impressed with it. The D7000 is a great mid-grade consumer body with plenty of features and capabilities for the novice photog to grow into.

Also, the menus, ergonomics and button placement on Nikons are just more natural and enjoyable to me. Nothing against Canon, but when I hold a Canon body, it doesn't feel nearly as good a fit as a comparable Nikon. Especially if you have large hands...

Is this in comparison to the 7D or 60D because i'm thinking about purchasing the 7D tomorrow over the D7000.

Is this in comparison to the 7D or 60D because i'm thinking about purchasing the 7D tomorrow over the D7000.

The only thing that interests me about the 60D is the LCD screen you can move around to suit your needs. The rest of it is completely typical Canon fare. The 7D is a great camera in its own right. It's a pretty even match with the D7000 in terms of image quality and ISO performance. I don't really see a reason for it to be ~$500 more than the D7000, other than that's where Canon wanted to put it in their lineup.

Once you cross into spending 4 figures on a piece of equipment, you really need to ask yourself why you're doing it. If you're a hobbyist who's purchasing because you love photography and want nice toys, then you may not be as concerned about nit picking things like low light AF performance and ergonomics. However, if you have any professional aspirations at all, or just want the very very best gear for what you like to shoot, I say take the effort to visit a camera store and try out both the 7D and the D7000. Since you're not invested in a lens system yet, you're free to make the decision without any complications like thousands invested in glass for one or the other...

I know it doesn't sound like that big a deal, but the menus and buttons on the Nikons I've owned or played with just seem much better designed. The menus on the Canons I've played with were really annoying. They don't feel laid out intelligently at all. It's just a matter of personal preference I guess, but that's all this forum has... :lol:

Nikon has already confirmed that they're releasing 3 more new DSLRs this year. Canon has a 5D2 upgrade and probably another lower quality cropped body. Do you need to buy right this second?

Hope my opinion has helped somehow...

The only thing that interests me about the 60D is the LCD screen you can move around to suit your needs. The rest of it is completely typical Canon fare. The 7D is a great camera in its own right. It's a pretty even match with the D7000 in terms of image quality and ISO performance. I don't really see a reason for it to be ~$500 more than the D7000, other than that's where Canon wanted to put it in their lineup.

Once you cross into spending 4 figures on a piece of equipment, you really need to ask yourself why you're doing it. If you're a hobbyist who's purchasing because you love photography and want nice toys, then you may not be as concerned about nit picking things like low light AF performance and ergonomics. However, if you have any professional aspirations at all, or just want the very very best gear for what you like to shoot, I say take the effort to visit a camera store and try out both the 7D and the D7000. Since you're not invested in a lens system yet, you're free to make the decision without any complications like thousands invested in glass for one or the other...

I know it doesn't sound like that big a deal, but the menus and buttons on the Nikons I've owned or played with just seem much better designed. The menus on the Canons I've played with were really annoying. They don't feel laid out intelligently at all. It's just a matter of personal preference I guess, but that's all this forum has... :lol:

Nikon has already confirmed that they're releasing 3 more new DSLRs this year. Canon has a 5D2 upgrade and probably another lower quality cropped body. Do you need to buy right this second?

Hope my opinion has helped somehow...

Yes. I'm taking digital photography classes this summer at my college and want to be familiar with my camera before I start the classes. Thank you though for your insight. One thing holding me back from the D7000 is it's limited availability. There isn't a single one in stock within a 200 mile radius, so I don't even have the option of trying before I buy. The 60D vs. the D7000 seemed like a pretty uneven match so that's why I am going with the 7D now instead. It really seems just like what everyone is saying each has it's benefits and flaws. It's really what I want to use it for and that's the unfortunate thing. I am unsure to what I want to do with it. The only thing I don't really plan on doing is video.

The only thing I don't really plan on doing is video.

You know, I thought the same thing before I got the D7000. However, the controls are very user friendly and the quality of the video is every bit as good as any consumer grade video camera you get for under a grand. I completely underestimated how useful the video would be.

As for the 7D vs D7000, I can't speak to the winner of a head to head matchup. By the time I was considering the D7000, I already had 2 pro-grade Nikon lenses, so jumping brands was never a consideration.

You can find a D7000 on TPF or other reputable locations for under a grand if you're thorough. I bought mine through this forum in January with a Lowepro bag for $950. I believe the Canon 7D is selling new for $1699 right now. I can't say objectively that the 7D is better or worse than the D7000, but I can say with absolute certainty that it is NOT $500-$700 better. That's enough for the new 85mm 1.8g!

Unless you've got a pile of money sitting next to your computer, picking up a "like new" D7000 may be your best bet. Nikon glass generally costs more, but IMO it's worth it.

What Overread said.

When ever I am asked this kind of question I ask where do you want to be in 5 years with your photography? If it will be macro and extreme macro then you for sure want the Canon platform to have the MP-E65. No one makes anything like it. I have never been able to justify the higher cost of the Nikon gear. But that is just me. The advice already given to hold them in your hand is very sound. No matter how good it is, if it is not happy in your hand it is a waste of money. Good luck in your choice.

Sounds like the 7D would suit your needs. Or a good used 50D, I have a 50D and it has been a fine camera for me

Dont just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back