Best mobile phone in terms of the camera?

Desdemona

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apologies if there's a thread on this already.
I'm looking into upgrading my mobile, and I'd like to be able to use it as a compact camera.
Most reviews say very little about the camera beyond the number of megapixels. I was looking at a Samsung Tocca Ultra today, and it had exposure compensation, which I thought was good.
Am I being unrealistic to think I might get one where I can adjust the aperture and shutter speed?
Do any have the function that you get on most cameras of being able to hold down the shutter halfway? The shutter button always seems to be insubstantial on any that I've used.

Thanks for any advice - ones to look at or ones to avoid.

I think you should just go for one with high MP. Todays phone cameras have the same functions as a compact.

Most of the phones today are useless for motion. When you push the button it actually takes the picture about 1 second after it's pressed. They all suck from what I've seen.

I have the iphone 3gs, I've been fairly impressed with the camera quality (for a phone) in daylight. Plus there are tons of fun photo editing apps to play with on the go.

I think its 3 mp.

I've heard of an camera coming out with an 8mp camera + organic screen (whatever that means), it's suppose to be an iphone killer but I don't know the make or model.

NONE Mobile phone cameras suck! Not to be harsh but why would you want this!

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
To answer Jeffro, I don't see why they have to be rubbish. I was thinking that maybe one of the manufacturers would have realised that people want a decent camera, and would put in the sort of features you get in a decent compact into a phone. If I'm going to carry a phone about with me, I'd prefer to be able to use it as a compact for those times when I don't have my camera with me.

To answer Jeffro, I don't see why they have to be rubbish. I was thinking that maybe one of the manufacturers would have realised that people want a decent camera, and would put in the sort of features you get in a decent compact into a phone. If I'm going to carry a phone about with me, I'd prefer to be able to use it as a compact for those times when I don't have my camera with me.

They sell decent cameras now. They are called cameras.

Ok, so maybe the answer to my question is that there's not a decent cameraphone. I don't want it instead of a camera - I have one of them - but in addition. I'm just looking to make the choice of phone based more on the camera rather than the other features, and to know what are the things to take into consideration.

So is shutter lag a problem on phones? If so, I wouldn't bother taking photos with it at all.

Ok, so maybe the answer to my question is that there's not a decent cameraphone. I don't want it instead of a camera - I have one of them - but in addition. I'm just looking to make the choice of phone based more on the camera rather than the other features, and to know what are the things to take into consideration.

So is shutter lag a problem on phones? If so, I wouldn't bother taking photos with it at all.

Google is your friend.
Best camera phones - CNET Reviews
Camera Phone Reviews
Camera Phone Reviews - PictureCorrect

etc... Google

You may do better at a cell phone forum tho...

There are limitations imposed by the laws of physics, the physical size of a phone and cost.

I would check out the new iphone 3gs. The camera on it is supposed to be much better than the old iphone 3g.

Most reactions

Back