What's new

Waterproof rugged camera suggestion

Joined
Jan 15, 2014
Messages
733
Reaction score
158
Location
N VA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back asking for another suggestion. My daughter is going on a school trip to the Marine Lab in Key Largo and will be spending a lot of time in the water snorkeling. They are asking for the kids to bring a camera if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple waterproof camera that she can use to take some photos in the water? I'm willing to spend maybe up to $300 but would rather not spend too much since this is for a high school trip and I can just see it getting lost in the water or something like that. Looking for something that isn't complete crap and takes good photos. Her only experience with cameras is her cell phone which she will not have access to during most of the trip (if she did I would just buy one of those dry bag things for it). I've been looking online but there's so many options and some of them have very mixed reviews. Also not sure if going for something like a P&S or something like a GoPro would be better. She does insist that she wants to eventually learn scuba diving as she loves fish and wants to major in something like marine biology and work with them in the future.
 
You might also check out the Pentax/Ricoh models.
 
There's a lot of options for P&S for most price points from under a hundred on up, with capabilities of 15-30 ft depth range, some even float if you let go. You can find a GoPro that will go to 33ft, but its a little over your price point. Go to Amazon and search underwater cameras, just read the details closely.
 
There's a lot of options for P&S for most price points from under a hundred on up, with capabilities of 15-30 ft depth range, some even float if you let go. You can find a GoPro that will go to 33ft, but its a little over your price point. Go to Amazon and search underwater cameras, just read the details closely.
Thanks. I mentioned the GoPro because the Hero13 is currently on sale for just above my price point. Unfortunately I have zero knowledge of these types of cameras but know they are popular. If it is a better option than a P&S then I'd be willing to go the few dollars above my price point for one.
 
Thanks. I mentioned the GoPro because the Hero13 is currently on sale for just above my price point. Unfortunately I have zero knowledge of these types of cameras but know they are popular. If it is a better option than a P&S then I'd be willing to go the few dollars above my price point for one.
Kinda depends on your daughter.....how old is she, will this be something she stays with such that she'd get the use out of a more expensive model. The GoPro would have the advantage of being a little more flexible for other use maybe.
 
Kinda depends on your daughter.....how old is she, will this be something she stays with such that she'd get the use out of a more expensive model. The GoPro would have the advantage of being a little more flexible for other use maybe.
She'll be 18 in September and is currently a junior in HS. She has said she wants to get scuba certified eventually so if she does that then she'd probably want something to continue using for that. She's into art but has shown minimal interest in photography so far unless it has to do with fish. 😁
 
She'll be 18 in September and is currently a junior in HS. She has said she wants to get scuba certified eventually so if she does that then she'd probably want something to continue using for that. She's into art but has shown minimal interest in photography so far unless it has to do with fish. 😁

Make sure to post some of her pictures here!
 
If she wants scuba cert then she will be going deeper than 10M, might need to up the budget.
 
Make sure to post some of her pictures here!
I will. I'm not on here as much as I think I should be. I used to be more active and am trying to get back into it. I always come here for suggestions though because I trust most people's opinions here.
 
She'll be 18 in September and is currently a junior in HS. She has said she wants to get scuba certified eventually so if she does that then she'd probably want something to continue using for that. She's into art but has shown minimal interest in photography so far unless it has to do with fish. 😁
Taking professional underwater pictures requires equipment that is a lot more than you want to spend. And frankly, it;s too much to handle for a new snorkeler and scuba diver. (I'm a scuba diver who has taken UW pcitures with Nikonos U/W film cameras and strobe lights). I'd spend a couple of hundred on a U/W digital P&S that's easy to handle and will satisfy her during her learning phases. If she;s interested in going further with scuba and scuba photography, she will then have to buy better more expensive equipment after she's dived some and has experience scubaing. I'd pick one from the list I posted, above and again below. Pick one that's good to 50 feet, shockproof, zoom, flash and can be used for all her shots above water as well as UW for now. It;s small easy to handle, and will fit in her pocketbook for other times. Good luck.

Here's one on film.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom