Best on-line source for beginers?

flyin-lowe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have my new Camera on the way (Canon XS) and I know I will be on here asking a lot of questions. To avoid a bunch of wasted threads is there a place that has listed a bunch of the common questions for newbies. I know every situation is different but can find a place the will say typically outdoor shooting sports use these speeds and settings etc., indoor shooting portraits use these settings, outdoor shooting macro type up close shots use these settings. Again I know there are variables depending on lighting etc but some broad ranges to get me started would be a great help. Is there anywere on this site without just searching for specific threads.
Thanks

Yep he^ pretty much got them and this website really is a huge help. No question is a dumb question.

Wow, thank you so much Samanax! :D

Can you recommend a particularly good site or sites for a beginner on wildlife photography? This would be in the wild, not zoos.

Well I don't have many sources, but here are 2:
Home
gets some really good articles on photography which are well worth reading

Wildwood Survival - Wilderness Survival
not done too much digging around this site, but have it logged for the future - contains survival info, but also sections on wild animal tracking.

Thank you Overread, these are great! :thumbup:

sam, you always have a nice list of links for people when they ask questions...maybe we could get a list like this stickied? maybe a categorized list?...

im actually gonna go use the SEARCH function (huh...fancy that) and see if there might already be one :D

there was - though it was not stickied
I think it was something like an FAQ in the title - try searching for that

I am going to put the tutorial thread link in my list.

I have quite a collection of links that I am currently organizing. I uploaded them for threads such as this one.

Here's my link collection. It's big. Many of them already posted in the posts above.

I have my new Camera on the way (Canon XS) and I know I will be on here asking a lot of questions. To avoid a bunch of wasted threads is there a place that has listed a bunch of the common questions for newbies. I know every situation is different but can find a place the will say typically outdoor shooting sports use these speeds and settings etc., indoor shooting portraits use these settings, outdoor shooting macro type up close shots use these settings. Again I know there are variables depending on lighting etc but some broad ranges to get me started would be a great help. Is there anywere on this site without just searching for specific threads.
Thanks

another great way to look for tips and advices as you're starting out is reading those nifty photography books. understanding exposure by byran peterson is a big favourite here

Thanks everyone. I now have a few pages of reading to do before my camera gets here on Monday.

Wow, yes, thanks everyone! I have tons of reading to do now. And, my camera just arrived this afternoon!

I have also ordered, "Understanding Exposure" as I think I can get a lot out of it.

Wow, yes, thanks everyone! I have tons of reading to do now. And, my camera just arrived this afternoon!
Congrats! Which camera did you get?
I have also ordered, "Understanding Exposure" as I think I can get a lot out of it.
Yes, it's pretty much required reading for anyone getting into photography.

well, don't laugh, it's not a DSLR. :blushing: I got the Panasonic Lumix FZ28. It fits my needs for now, and my budget. I also have an SLR Canon Rebel and a 75-300mm lens.

I will move up to a DSLR when I can afford it!

But, I am excited about my new camera. I may not be able to put additional lenses on it, but I can still get a lot of learning out of it, and hopefully some good shots!

Most reactions

Back