Best photo editing software?

How do they make money on GIMP?

How do they make money on GIMP?

They don't. Its open source software. Its not about ripping people off... its about helping others and sharing ideas/talent....

Open Source -

(1) Generically, open source refers to a program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design free of charge, i.e., open. Open source code is typically created as a collaborative effort in which programmers improve upon the code and share the changes within the community. Open source sprouted in the technological community as a response to proprietary software owned by corporations.

(2) A certification standard issued by the Open Source Initiative (OSI) that indicates that the source code of a computer program is made available free of charge to the general public. The rationale for this movement is that a larger group of programmers not concerned with proprietary ownership or financial gain will produce a more useful and bug -free product for everyone to use. The concept relies on peer review to find and eliminate bugs in the program code, a process which commercially developed and packaged programs do not utilize. Programmers on the Internet read, redistribute and modify the source code, forcing an expedient evolution of the product. The process of eliminating bugs and improving the software happens at a much quicker rate than through the traditional development channels of commercial software as the information is shared throughout the open source community and does not originate and channel through a corporation's research and development cogs.

OSI dictates that in order to be considered "OSI Certified" a product must meet the following criteria:

The author or holder of the license of the source code cannot collect royalties on the distribution of the program
The distributed program must make the source code accessible to the user
The author must allow modifications and derivations of the work under the program's original name
No person, group or field of endeavor can be denied access to the program
The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution
The licensed software cannot place restrictions on other software that is distributed with it.

Source: Webopedia

Adobe is not ripping people. Buying/using pirated software is. (not talking about GIMP btw). :lmao:

"They don't. Its open source software. Its not about ripping people off... its about helping others and sharing ideas/talent...."

and you think ADOBE is about ripping people off? I love how everyone thinks that because its expensive. Its not just some computer nerd in his moms basement in his underwear writing some code. The development of photoshop is massive as is the company. This takes cash, thats how businesses work. You invest in development and then charge for a product to recoup that money and turn a profit. Its pretty simple. Gimp is based on Photoshop. So they piggyback on others hard work and then give it away for free and try to come off as "for the artist." Talk about a rip off, Gimp should develop their own product from scratch and stop ripping off other companies work.:mrgreen:

"They don't. Its open source software. Its not about ripping people off... its about helping others and sharing ideas/talent...."

" Talk about a rip off, Gimp should develop their own product from scratch and stop ripping off other companies work.:mrgreen:

That is very untrue, Photoshop also steal from GIMP, there is things in the new Photoshop CS5 that photoshop advertise as completely new and exciting that has been in GIMP for years.

That is very untrue, Photoshop also steal from GIMP, there is things in the new Photoshop CS5 that photoshop advertise as completely new and exciting that has been in GIMP for years.
What specifically are you referring to that is new in Photoshop, but that has been in GIMP "for years".

I use Photoshop CS5, Nix Color Effect and Light Room. Although I'm not great at any one of the three.

Sorry to all you Adobe folks... I did not mean to offend. I should not have used the words "Its not about ripping people off"...

What I meant was that open source is not about money so much as sharing... thats all.

AAUI, this is the position for Open Source Software:

GIMP is a component of GNU, but not GNU itself. GNU is a collection of Open Source Software which is free*

*free is defined as in "free speech", not "free beer". You can charge for your efforts, but you must provide the source code so that it may be freely modified by the recipient. If you use open source software to create a derivitive work which you then distribute, then that work must also be accompanied by the modified source code.

In practice, most open source software is also free of charge. Any profits are usually made on support and maintenance contracts, such as with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

GIMP does not "steal" from Adobe in the same way that Nikon doesn't "steal" from Canon (or vice-versa - don't shoot me!). They do similar jobs, but there is no shared development, and with Open Source having to provide the actual code, great pains are taken to ensure that this remains the case, or big lawsuits might result.

Personally, I am very grateful that there are people willing to share such useful things to benefit the community. It motivates software companies to give us value for money.

i have ps CS5 and its outstanding! it was very overwhelming at first, but you tube has some great videos and google is close to godliness in my opinion :) ive tried a couple other softwares and photoshop in my experience has been the all around good, maybe im just biased. lol

Youtube and most online tutorials are just soooooo piecemeal. You miss learning about big chunks of Photoshop's capabilities and the thought processes that pro image editors use to determine what to edit and how best to do the editing.

I recommend Martin Evening's book:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS5-Photographers-professional/dp/0240522001/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279923070&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: a professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (9780240522005): Martin Evening: Books[/ame]

and the following 2 Real World books by Schewe and Fraser:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Camera-Adobe-Photoshop/dp/0321713095/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279923118&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5 (9780321713094): Jeff Schewe, Bruce Fraser: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/World-Sharpening-Photoshop-Camera-Lightroom/dp/0321637550/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279923294&sr=1-5"]Amazon.com: Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition) (9780321637550):…[/ame]

Those, coupled with membership in the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP), so you have access to their member only website, forum, tutorials, magazine, and extensive list of all kinds discounts will jet propel your photoshop skills. Check out the menber benefits at www.photoshopuser.com. If you decide to join NAPP use my referral link: https://www.photoshopuser.com/signup/?aid=luhgxq&code=friend

So they piggyback on others hard work and then give it away for free and try to come off as "for the artist." Talk about a rip off, Gimp should develop their own product from scratch and stop ripping off other companies work.:mrgreen:

This is totally ludicrous...you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I'd be willing to bet if I gave you a hundred years you'd be lucky to make something that competes w/MS Paint.

GIMP doesn't come anywhere close to Photoshop CS, but it does come close to Photoshop Elements.

Can you give some details beyond non-destructive editing and 16bits per channel? I am particularly interested in how gimp only "comes close" to PSE.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back