Best places for HDR shots?

RedVixen81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have become interested in giving HDR photography a spin...my question is this, what locations and settings are best to shoot at?.. i was thinking on heading a few hours to the beach this weekend as well as hanging out on an upper level of a downtown parking garage to shoot the downtown lights... any other suggestion?.. Thanks in advance :)

Personally I haven't done more than dabble with it but my faviorites that I've seen on this site are from inside churches, abandoned cars in lonely feilds and scarey nasty abandoned homes and out-buildings. Seems the grundgier (is that a word?) the better, decay and all.

Best place hhmmmmm I think that is relative.

I would however recommend areas with water for reflections and sunsets and since you are close to a beach I would start there. Old churches with great detail, foresty areas with lots of foliage and greenery. This would be great place to start.

As far as time of day for out doors would be sunset with cloudy skys (the golden hour). Sky's with no clouds is rather boring sometimes and is easier to produce haloing. Also sunrise if you wake up early enough. Mid days creates harsh shadows but in some cases it makes for a great looking scene. Indoors does not matter since its artificial lighting.

Settings for landscapes F8-F11 to get as much detail in and keep it sharp, ISO 100. If you will be auto bracketing +2,0,-2 will get you usually enough dynamic range that you need. If you need more use exposure compensation. Sunset with the sun you would need to drop to -3 and possibly -4 to get better detail around light areas.

Use a tripod, download free trial of photomatix, nik color effects and topaz adjust/denoise. IF you like HDR then purchase photomatix and if you like any of those other programs for filters grab them to as they will help bring out and make your photos pop.

Hope this helps.

That is awesome advice VIP... thanks... yeah i have dabbled just once with the top of a palm tree at my old place just to see if i could figure it out.. my D3100 doesn't have auto bracketing. so i have to manually adjust the exposure.. which i don't like to much cause i run the risk of camera movement even in the slightest.. but i will def heed your advice... will do some this weekend and see what i come up with.

That is awesome advice VIP... thanks... yeah i have dabbled just once with the top of a palm tree at my old place just to see if i could figure it out.. my D3100 doesn't have auto bracketing. so i have to manually adjust the exposure.. which i don't like to much cause i run the risk of camera movement even in the slightest.. but i will def heed your advice... will do some this weekend and see what i come up with.

Good luck with that. Hope you enjoy it......you might even get hooked on HDR....Hey that would be a good HDR site...hookedonhdr.com.....hhhmmmm I should buy the domain hahahaha.

EDIT: i just bought the domain name...hahahaha why not maybe I will start an online HDR forum...."not" well maybe...hhhmmmmm

Cheers

Last edited:
A great place to try HDR is right in your living room. Early morning or late afternoon when the sun is coming up or going down, and the sky isnt totally bright but with enough light to give some detail. Have a couple lamps on and compose your shot so you can cover the lamps, the window and some shadowy areas under the coffee table. This will give you a good range. It will take about 5 or 7 shots. Good luck.

vipgraphx said:
Good luck with that. Hope you enjoy it......you might even get hooked on HDR....Hey that would be a good HDR site...hookedonhdr.com.....hhhmmmm I should buy the domain hahahaha.

EDIT: i just bought the domain name...hahahaha why not maybe I will start an online HDR forum...."not" well maybe...hhhmmmmm

Cheers

Ha ha ha. Did u really just buy it? That is awesome and I think it would be good as a forum

I have become interested in giving HDR photography a spin...my question is this, what locations and settings are best to shoot at?.. i was thinking on heading a few hours to the beach this weekend as well as hanging out on an upper level of a downtown parking garage to shoot the downtown lights... any other suggestion?.. Thanks in advance :)

Anywhere. You can HDR any type of photo.

A great place to try HDR is right in your living room. Early morning or late afternoon when the sun is coming up or going down, and the sky isnt totally bright but with enough light to give some detail. Have a couple lamps on and compose your shot so you can cover the lamps, the window and some shadowy areas under the coffee table. This will give you a good range. It will take about 5 or 7 shots. Good luck.

This is a good point many people over look. HDR is that same as any photography. You want to do it when you have the best light.

Thanks DiskoJoe..i took some test shots yesterday evening and posted them in HDR Disscussions under Be Gentle..if you want to CC them... there my first 2 ever do i know there not up to great standard but i think there pretty good for my first time..

Last edited:
Thanks DiskoJoe..i took some test shots yesterday evening and posted them in HDR Disscussions under Be Gentle..if you want to CC them... there my first 2 ever do i know there not up to great standard but i think there pretty good for my first time..

I saw! Not too bad for a first attempt. Keep with it. The more you practice the easier it gets.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back