gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just returned from a four day trip to Toronto. I was overwhelmed by the amount of interesting photography subjects. Fortunately, I stayed at a downtown hotel so that I was able to walk to all of the downtown sites. I logged 48 miles of walking over those four days...with gear!

Here are a dozen of my favorites from the trip. In future posts, I'll share more images of architectural abstracts and reflections.

1- Nathan Phillips Square and City Hall
p2865109906-6.jpg

2- Allen Lambert Galleria
p2865108563-6.jpg

3- Chinatown
p2865108798-6.jpg

4- Richmond-Adelaide Centre
p2865108576-6.jpg

5- Eaton Centre
p2865109406-6.jpg

6- One of many reflections on the downtown skyscrapers
p2865108817-6.jpg

7- Aga Khan Museum
p2865109904-6.jpg

8- Eaton Centre pedestrian bridge
p2865108628-6.jpg

9- City Hall
p2865109744-6.jpg

10- An urban rose
p2865109217-6.jpg

11- Architectural abstract
p2865109965-6.jpg

12- Toronto skyline
p2865109326-6.jpg

A few photography notes...

#1: This was looking to be a frustrating experience. My first attempt at this failed due to a large event at the square. On my last night, I was set up for the photograph but that crowds were large and people were sitting inside the letters of the Toronto sign and many were standing in front of the sign. Fortunately most people left once the blue hour arrived! This is a blend of five exposures to control the shadows and highlights.

#2: After I captured this image, I was asked by security to stop shooting. This was rather frustrating because as I was leaving I noticed 8 other photographers shooting in the space as well. I am guessing it was my tripod that led to my early departure.

#3: This shot was handheld due to the tight spaces.

#4: I happened to look up and saw this. I was attracted by the clean lines and negative space.

#5: The third time was a charm for this one. The pedestrian bridge was closed on my first attempt. The opening at the end of the bridge was a mess due to construction. I tried using Photoshop's generative AI to fill in the ugly space. I ended up going with the steel doors...although it doesn't make much sense, I liked it. This was my first attempt at the AI...and perhaps my last!

#6: There were awesome reflections everywhere I looked. I think I ended up with more than 70 architectural abstract photos from the trip.

#7: The Aga Khan Museum is the only site that I drove to as it is located about 9 miles from downtown. Security approached me to ask what I was doing. I pointed to the signs that said photography is encouraged and to please post photos to social media!

#8: I found architectural abstract everywhere.

#9: The light was atrocious that afternoon...super bright direct harsh sunlight. But, I think it almost works for this image. I had to lay on my back for this one.

#10: I came across some unusual sculptures along the lakefront. This is a small section of one of the sculptures that reminded me of a rose. I took the liberty to add a bit of color to the white sculpture.

#11: This one took a few visits. One challenge with reflections is that sometimes the sun shines too bright and sections of the glass become blinding. I returned after the sun moved to a more favorable angle. My polarizer got a workout.

#12: This one involved walking to the ferry terminal and taking the ferry to the Toronto Islands early one morning. I tried a few things. I used a 10 stop ND for a long exposure. I shot 9 vertical frames to create a high resolution panoramic shot that ended up at 17,000 pixels across. In the end, this photo is a composite of a number of images...the panoramic for the buildings, a blurred approach for the water, and a slightly different sky...for the trifecta!

Thanks for looking...and for reading!

Glenn

You got some fantastic architectural photos!

For the first one I might think about a cropped version, cropping out the people at the snack/concession area (darn people! lol don't you love when you keep waiting for them to move out of the frame, or it's too much of a crowd for a clean shot). That would lose some buildings but I think it might work without those.

Yeah, it was likely the tripod... they may not want something set up where people would be walking.

The fourth one is really cool, subtle color but I like the emphasis on geometric design.

I like the color and reflections in the sixth one. You should lay on your back more often! the ninth one is fantastic!

The tenth one is subtle but I like the design and use of color. Number eleven was worth the trouble of more than one visit!

Do you ever submit photos to juried exhibits? I could see some of these hanging on a wall in an exhibition.

CN Tower, New City Hall, Eaton Centre, Chinatown, TO skyline from the island...Next time try King and Queen St E&W, Kensington Market, Leslieville, Liberty Village, Spadina Ave, Yonge St. Great city for street photography.

Last edited:
You got some fantastic architectural photos!

For the first one I might think about a cropped version, cropping out the people at the snack/concession area (darn people! lol don't you love when you keep waiting for them to move out of the frame, or it's too much of a crowd for a clean shot). That would lose some buildings but I think it might work without those.

Yeah, it was likely the tripod... they may not want something set up where people would be walking.

The fourth one is really cool, subtle color but I like the emphasis on geometric design.

I like the color and reflections in the sixth one. You should lay on your back more often! the ninth one is fantastic!

The tenth one is subtle but I like the design and use of color. Number eleven was worth the trouble of more than one visit!

Do you ever submit photos to juried exhibits? I could see some of these hanging on a wall in an exhibition.
Thanks so much for taking the time to view and provide such detailed feedback on the photos!

I agree with you regarding the first one. I could probably remove the people and the concession stand with a little effort. But, I like your idea of the crop. I also have a vertical that I shot while I was there...and that one is free of all people.

I haven't submitted photos to a juried exhibit...but it might be a fun thing to try.

Glenn

CN Tower, New City Hall, Eaton Centre, Chinatown, TO skyline from the island...Next time try King and Queen St E&W, Kensington Market, Leslieville, Liberty Village, Spadina Ave, Yonge St. Great city for street photography.
Thanks...I enjoyed what I saw of the city very much. I did walk many of the streets...and visited most of the additional locations that you mentioned. I went to Kensington Market and Spadina Avenue twice...Yonge Street quite a few times...

Glenn

Thanks...I enjoyed what I saw of the city very much. I did walk many of the streets...and visited most of the additional locations that you mentioned. I went to Kensington Market and Spadina Avenue twice...Yonge Street quite a few times...

Glenn
Looks like you missed that other postcard shot--Flatiron Building...

Looks like you missed that other postcard shot--Flatiron Building...
I saw it and walked up to it...just couldn't figure out a way to get a good photograph of it given the lighting and crowds/cars all around it.

Glenn

I've done submissions to juried exhibits, some architectural. That's why I thought you might do well entering something. Of course it varies, depends on the juror, the theme of the exhibit, etc.

From what I understand too they may choose photos/artwork that work together, so it may not mean that a particular photo isn't good enough, it just may not work with everything else submitted. They may want to have an exhibit of photos that will look good hanging on the walls together.

Nice set.
Thank you!
I've done submissions to juried exhibits, some architectural. That's why I thought you might do well entering something. Of course it varies, depends on the juror, the theme of the exhibit, etc.

From what I understand too they may choose photos/artwork that work together, so it may not mean that a particular photo isn't good enough, it just may not work with everything else submitted. They may want to have an exhibit of photos that will look good hanging on the walls together.
Thanks...I have never looked into anything like that. I'm not sure where to start. At some point when I have more time, I may do some research to see if it is something I might wish to pursue.

Glenn

Maybe try local art centers, or Calls to Artists. Wouldn't necessarily have to be in your area, I've shipped a photo clear across the country. Might be worth a look when you have time.

Another wonderful set of cityscape images, as is usual! I appreciate being able to appreciate these places without a long drive or flight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back