Best places to learn advance techniques

phoenix83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I have been doing photography for about a year now . I like to think I take a decent picture, but I know I could be better esp. since I would like to turn my hobby into a business. I was wondering what are some of the best places to really learn the skills to make money with photography. I have been looking at AiPOD Course Catalog: Photography Bachelor of Science Degree and considering taking this course but I figured ask first to see if anyone else knew of other schools out there that teach photography.

I think the best way to learn would be from a working pro....'on the job' training.

Education is always a good thing to have - however with arts subjects its more what you can learn than it is earning paper to prove qualifications - since at hte end of the day your portfolio will speak more than a grade. However grades from good institutions can open doors for you.

As for the business side I have read that a lot of people started by going as a second shooter to an already existing professional photographer - that way they get hands on experience of the game - though one has to be selective and make sure that you get your monies worth out of the deal (ie make sure you are learning and not just doing all the donkey work fro the pro - though some donkey work will be involved most likley).

I am not saying don't go for qualifications, just to remember that in arts its your work that stands out more than grades. Also note that running a photography business is not the same as being a good photographer - one can be rubbish at photography and still run a good business by having good business skills and methods - the reverse is also very true - if you can't run a business you won't get far with one even if your a 1st rate photographer

Also look into specific workshops and tutorials as a source of learning as well - small class sizes or personal tuition can help you refine your methods in shooting and editing

A combination of both is a good idea. Get a great foundation by taking classes and if you can get a certificate to hang on your wall for potential clients to see, it will be all the better.

While portfolios and actual work is what people look at, having a great portfolio AND a certification is a step up IMO.

Also, having some training is a good way to get an "in" with local photographers. It shows you are dedicated. And, as I have found, teachers that teach photography are great resources for contacts in the business.

I have thought about on the job training but when I started searching for a photography job around my area they either paid next to nothing or where school pics I would like to make it a full time career but at the same time I wouldnt mind it just being a part time one to make extra money at it I have been speaking to the photographers in my area and most dont believe in sharing their craft with others because they know one day I would be there competition

try looking for a local photography club then - chances are that they will have some pros in their membership and they might be more willing to share their methods and experiences - if nothing else it will be agood place to meet other photographers, get ideas and advice

The best way to improve is by doing ... the best way to "do" is with a mentor. Experience, Critique and Feedback are key in improving one's skills. Joining a group of experienced photogs helps in all these areas.

Gary

Gary hit my personal fav. Everytime I go out with the strobist group, I am learning something new that I did not have a clue about (or worse, thought what I was doing was ok, and it wasn't).

A real life face to face mentor or even better yet, a group of good photographers in the same room and move from one to the other.

I joined the Montreal Strobist group, and there are some AWESOME photographers there that I love to talk to and learn from.

I'll have to check but I don't thank there are many around my area

If there aren't any... "if you build it, they will come..." ;)

Most reactions

Back