Best travel lens (nikon d300s)

lil dvl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks im about to set off on a 3month road trip and am looking to upgrade glass!

Current body nikon D300s
lenses, 18-55 and 55-200 old crappy kit lenses i got with my old d40x.. Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.8

So i shoot landscape and wildlife and am looking for a new general lens for day to day use, and buy a big telephoto at a later date.

Was thinking about going all out and getting a brand new nikon 24-70 f 2.8. Does anybody use this lens with a d300s?

or should i save a few dollars and get a tamron or sigma equivalent? if i did this would i be disappointed with the quality?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
I used that lens on a D300 and it's brilliant! On occasion, the wide end wasn't quite as wide as I would have liked, but for landscapes and such, you can always shoot a pano. In short, it's hard to over-recommend that lens. Sharp, well built... it's a long-term purchase!

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
All the reviews I saw put the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC ahead of the Nikon 24-70mm so you can save 500$-600$ and get the better glass as well.

In regards to picture quality the Tamron falls the slightest behind the Nikon but the VC on it is very effective a which all reviewers said is well worth the insignificant picture quality differences.

BTW-Its time for Nikon to stick a VR on their 24-70mm 2.8 lens.

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
All depends on how much you want to spend. Look for a 24-120, great lens. Another option is the 28-300.

ghache

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
tamron 24-70 VC is a great lens but is a bit heavy to travel.

Most reactions

New Topics