Best Way To Scan Negatives

While you can compare color, I don't think you can compare resolution-based image aspects from web-sized images.

That's true. I can't show you a print on the internet. But look at the lower image. You will see an arch through which you can see the door of the building across the street. About half way up the arch on the left you can see a little round thing. it is a clock in that building. On the 8 1/2 X 11 digital print it is very easy to read the time of 9:47. Good enough resolution?

The only dedicated film scanner I ever owned was a Polaroid for 35mm. The images it made were no better or worse than the Epson flatbed. It was more convenient. I've used flatbeds for medium and large format right along.

The truth is scanners are scanners. They all work the same way. Some are faster than others but there isn't a quality difference that I've ever encountered.

I look at it like zooms vs. primes. Primes are made to do one focal length, so they do them very well. Zooms have to make compromises. You can still get a great zoom lens, but for the same money, if you are only going to shoot one focal length, you are probably better off getting a prime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back