better detail with better lights?

19nash85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Again I am taking pictures of racing seats. they have grainy fabric so I want to make sure and get all that, also the grain of the leather/ suade. The lights we have a nothing special but still not bad. I do think we should get a nicer setup but debating if it doesn't mean i will see a significant improvement.

What lighting will produce the greatest amound of detail? How big a deal is it?

you might even get some better detail if you get enough shadow in the depth of the "grain"...play around with it.

Really just try it out...

If the direction of the primary source of light is at an angle to the camera it will create shadows and the grain will show up better.

Light is light.

Hard light generally emphasizes shadows, bringing out detail. Small light sources make hard light.

Soft light generally softens shadows, softening detail. Large light sources make soft light.

Position of the light is important because it controls where the shadows, and therefore details, appear.

Lighting is arguably the biggest deal in the photo. I doubt there is an answer to what light will produce the greatest amount of detail. I mean that it is all relative and very subjective. A single table lamp can produce amazing results. A 5,000 dollar Speedotron outfit also produces nice results. Ultimately it comes down to your understanding of the light and it's position.

Personally I would use hot lights.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back