Hobby's

Don Fischer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have been thinking about this a couple days and just wrote about it on a fishing forum I'm on. Started thinking about it on a photography forum. Is our hobby's about what we do or about the equipment we buy? I read a lot of stuff on the two photography forums I'm on and mostly it's about choosing equipment and looking to get the best we can find. Some but not a lot on how to actually take the photo! What is photography really about? Myself I like to get photo's I like and if someone else also likes them, good for me. I do not chase perfection! I don't spend a lot of time finding the best equip either. Last time I did that I got a Nikon F5. Still have it and haven't a clue how to use all it has! Started digital with a D70 Nikon. after a few years I upgraded to a D5000 and finally to a D7000. My equipment has improved I think but I still haven't a clue how to use everything in that old D70! Infact a lot of my photo's are no better than I got with my old Nikon FG film camera! have at this point in my life pretty much quit chasing better equipment and decided to chase better photography! Gonna give it a shot anyway. Shoot I don't even have a clue what boka is! I probably spelled that wrong! Something I don't get is what makes a good photo. I suspect a good photo is one you like. But sure as shooting there's gonna be those that don't like it! Doesn't matter how good it it. Then there's those that love any photo they think is perfectly framed and exposed, even if it deals with a subject they know nothing about! Had a photo of one of my dog's pointing a bird in the county fair last year and got a red ribbon. Asked one of the judges about it and was told that everything was nice except there was some grass across the dog's nose. Obviously the judge knew nothing at all about shooting bird dog's at work. Should have entered the one in high grass with only the tail showing, would have got an F!

Rick Nelson had it right...

"But it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

I don't do photos for money for just this reason. I do what I like. And if it makes someone else happy, that makes me happy, too. I never worried much about gear. Used old Pentaxes and Nikons when I did film, which I got used.

I find a lot of my stuff is now using a Samsung S21 Ultra, just because it's handy, if a bit clumsy to adjust.

at this point in my life pretty much quit chasing better equipment and decided to chase better photography!

Wise choice, there are three categories of photographers. Those so attached to their equipment that they won't change until it breaks, who eventually get stagnate. Those who recognize advancements that will benefit them and purchase accordingly, for them it becomes a journey. Finally there are those that always have to have the latest and greatest, for them it's always about the equipment. To each their own, but I tend to be one that likes to explore the capabilities of one thing before jumping to something new.

Something I don't get is what makes a good photo.

If you're interested in getting constructive feedback on a shot consider posting an image in the C&C Gallery. Technical issues with an image are pretty cut and dried, opinions not so much. Just follow the instructions for posting. I also believe TPF still has a Mentoring program in place.

For the best instructions on the basics, I'd suggest some of John Hedgecoe's books. He had a way of explaining things that was easy to follow. "The Book Of Photography", 1976, " The complete Guide To Photography ", 1982, and " The Art Of Digital Photography" , 2006, will give you a thourogh understanding of what makes a good photo. You can find them used online or in many libraries. Nick Fancher "Studio Anywhere: A Photographer's Guide to Shooting in Unconventional Locations" is a good read as he takes you through step by step from setup, to camera setting, to post processing on images

Wise choice, there are three categories of photographers. Those so attached to their equipment that they won't change until it breaks, who eventually get stagnate. Those who recognize advancements that will benefit them and purchase accordingly, for them it becomes a journey. Finally there are those that always have to have the latest and greatest, for them it's always about the equipment. To each their own, but I tend to be one that likes to explore the capabilities of one thing before jumping to something new.

If you're interested in getting constructive feedback on a shot consider posting an image in the C&C Gallery. Technical issues with an image are pretty cut and dried, opinions not so much. Just follow the instructions for posting. I also believe TPF still has a Mentoring program in place.

For the best instructions on the basics, I'd suggest some of John Hedgecoe's books. He had a way of explaining things that was easy to follow. "The Book Of Photography", 1976, " The complete Guide To Photography ", 1982, and " The Art Of Digital Photography" , 2006, will give you a thourogh understanding of what makes a good photo. You can find them used online or in many libraries. Nick Fancher "Studio Anywhere: A Photographer's Guide to Shooting in Unconventional Locations" is a good read as he takes you through step by step from setup, to camera setting, to post processing on images
OK Ordered that book! Thanks! I might be the first kind. For DSLR's I only use Nikon. Not all that attatched but had some idea of how to work them. New P&S I just got is a Panosonic. Looks and feels like it should last but wish I hadn't read the owners manual. No idea what they are talking about!

@Don Fischer which book? I recommend starting with Hedgecoe, because he explains the art of composition in photography.

I started this journey in the late 60's. First camera was an old Yashicamat, then Nikon, Canon and Pentax. I settled on Pentax early on and haven't looked back. I think everyone tends to be somewhat brand partial. For me it's the commitment to forward compatibility on glass. It helps to stay with one line also as improvements are more like logical progressions rather than having to learn a whole new systems.

@Don Fischer which book? I recommend starting with Hedgecoe, because he explains the art of composition in photography.

I started this journey in the late 60's. First camera was an old Yashicamat, then Nikon, Canon and Pentax. I settled on Pentax early on and haven't looked back. I think everyone tends to be somewhat brand partial. For me it's the commitment to forward compatibility on glass. It helps to stay with one line also as improvements are more like logical progressions rather than having to learn a whole new systems.
Just got done ordering that book off e-bay!

got done ordering that book off e-bay!
If I can answer questions once you start reading feel free to PM me.

You mentioned a bird dog picture in your first post. What breed? We've had Britts for years. Unfortunately the current Briitt is a rescue that the original owner didn't know what he was doing and I'm afraid he scarred her for life. We've had her for over a year and she's still terrified of noise. I've been slowly trying desensitization training with only limited success so far.

If I can answer questions once you start reading feel free to PM me.

You mentioned a bird dog picture in your first post. What breed? We've had Britts for years. Unfortunately the current Briitt is a rescue that the original owner didn't know what he was doing and I'm afraid he scarred her for life. We've had her for over a year and she's still terrified of noise. I've been slowly trying desensitization training with only limited success so far.
I've got Red Setter's, American Field Irish Setters. Had German Shorthairs a long time and have worked ith Brittanys, English Setter's. a vizla and Pointer's. Matter of fact had a couple E. Setter's and several pointer's. This is one of my Red Setter's, Abby. I own her dad.
1688359628990.jpeg

Last edited:
@Don Fischer I first hunted over a friend's Brittany in my late 20's, unfortunately it would be several years before I got the first Britt, Millie, she was 100% Frenchie. She was a firecracker, a decent hunter but OMG was she bull headed. She knew exactly what I wanted her to do but ......unless what I wanted was more interesting than what she wanted, she would ignore me. LOL Despite her orneriness she was my constant companion for 14 years. Next in line was Sadie, an American Britt rescue.
Hunt20181117_0001.jpg

Sadie was that once in a lifetime dog, she had the whole package. She was our first rescue, Great hunter, retrieve to the hand, well behaved, would do anything I asked. For some strange reason she loved the camera, anytime the studio was setup she would walk on set, ready to pose. Tore us up when she passed suddenly at just over 8 years old from an un-diagnosed heart condition. No signs, just gone in an instant.

Phoebe is the current rescue. She came to us at 2, with a lot of baggage. Her original owner apparently tried to train her, didn't know what he was doing, traumatized her to loud noises, and left her with serious anxiety issues, which is sad because she's such a happy creature, most of the time.

Phoebe 202320230701_6255-4th of july.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I'm hopeful that with time, I can work with her to alleviate her anxiety issues, but it's been over a year now and while we're making progress on her anxiety issues, the noise phobia (gun shots, thunder) are only marginally better. At least she doesn't run for the hills when the flash fires now.

@Don Fischer I first hunted over a friend's Brittany in my late 20's, unfortunately it would be several years before I got the first Britt, Millie, she was 100% Frenchie. She was a firecracker, a decent hunter but OMG was she bull headed. She knew exactly what I wanted her to do but ......unless what I wanted was more interesting than what she wanted, she would ignore me. LOL Despite her orneriness she was my constant companion for 14 years. Next in line was Sadie, an American Britt rescue.
View attachment 266881

Sadie was that once in a lifetime dog, she had the whole package. She was our first rescue, Great hunter, retrieve to the hand, well behaved, would do anything I asked. For some strange reason she loved the camera, anytime the studio was setup she would walk on set, ready to pose. Tore us up when she passed suddenly at just over 8 years old from an un-diagnosed heart condition. No signs, just gone in an instant.

Phoebe is the current rescue. She came to us at 2, with a lot of baggage. Her original owner apparently tried to train her, didn't know what he was doing, traumatized her to loud noises, and left her with serious anxiety issues, which is sad because she's such a happy creature, most of the time.

Phoebe 202320230701_6255-4th of july.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I'm hopeful that with time, I can work with her to alleviate her anxiety issues, but it's been over a year now and while we're making progress on her anxiety issues, the noise phobia (gun shots, thunder) are only marginally better. At least she doesn't run for the hills when the flash fires now.
Nice looking dog. One of the favorite dog'sI've worked with was a Britt from Portland area. Guy brought her to me at 11 mos and bird shy. Turns out he shot a pheasant for her a crippled it and retrieving it it beat her up pretty bad. I force borke her to retriev and she was into it again. I took her to a Britt Futurity and got third with her. She was my buddy! Dusty!

Nice looking dog.
Thank you. Phoebe is by all practical definitions a "soft dog", somewhat of a contradiction for the breed. One thing that concerns me most at this point, is her mediocre response to being in field. The others were gung ho smelling everything in sight, didn't want to go in. Phoebe will smell of things occasionally on a walk, but she's ready to go back in fairly quick. I suspect the anxieties might be part of it.

Just got done ordering that book off e-bay!

Don, this is another good read to help you, I couldn't remember the name of it the other day, been awhile since I read it. It's a little harder to read than Hedgecoe's books, as its more technical, and deals more with the composition of an image.
Amazon product ASIN 0871922835

Funny, the day after I retired from teaching (photography), I tossed every book I had except the three Ansel Adams books, The Camera, The Negative and the Print. The rest are just opinions by mostly self-serving "experts" who for the most part are just trying to make a buck. More power to them. If you want to be a better photographer regardless of your equipment, shoot, shoot some more, add more and more. Experience is the best teacher. My two cents worth.

Funny, the day after I retired from teaching (photography), I tossed every book I had except the three Ansel Adams books, The Camera, The Negative and the Print. The rest are just opinions by mostly self-serving "experts" who for the most part are just trying to make a buck. More power to them. If you want to be a better photographer regardless of your equipment, shoot, shoot some more, add more and more. Experience is the best teacher. My two cents worth.
No disagreement from me on the benefit of experience by doing. Question I have is "how" did you become a teacher of photography? If you were teaching, wasn't accreditation required? How did you get that, did you go to school or college, or were you a professional photographer prior to teaching with sufficient experience to pass board standards?

There's an old saying "sometimes you don't know, what you don't know". The problem with just doing without any guidance (either from an instructor, mentor, book, etc.), is that you end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out something that others already know, and gleaning a little knowledge from them will make the path easier and more productive for you.

No disagreement from me on the benefit of experience by doing. Question I have is "how" did you become a teacher of photography? If you were teaching, wasn't accreditation required? How did you get that, did you go to school or college, or were you a professional photographer prior to teaching with sufficient experience to pass board standards?

There's an old saying "sometimes you don't know, what you don't know". The problem with just doing without any guidance (either from an instructor, mentor, book, etc.), is that you end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out something that others already know, and gleaning a little knowledge from them will make the path easier and more productive for you.
I have a Master's Degree in Cinematography and a Batchelor's in Studio Art, Photography major, Printmaking Minor and I have a Teaching degree K-12 FLDOE, and I have a BA in Journalism (I dual majored with an emphasis on advertising media). Prior to teaching I did a whole lot of commercial photography/film both civilian and military related. The civilian was for companies like Berg Steel Pipe Corp, Bebitz, DE, Westinghouse, and the state of California doing environmental impact studies (aerials). With the military, well, that is for me to never talk about except perhaps for a wedding of a Colonel or two's daughters.
I should probably add that I am an Advanced International Certificate of Education Master Teacher, a National Board Certified Teacher and a Florida Certified Master Teacher, an Advanced Placement Certified Teacher and a Scholastics Certified Instructor. But now, I am just a guy in a blind waiting for the next bird to fly by, a sun to rise or set or flower to bloom. Retirement is grand!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back