Better lighting with one-light setup?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all. I am using my Nikon D50 with the nifty 50mm 1.8 and a SB-800 flash this week for a photoshoot. Usually I have no problem with this setup because mostly I am outdoors, and the lighting is either already nice enough to shoot in, or I can fill in nicely with the SB-800.

However this shoot is going to be different, it's going to be indoors, so I wanted to try and find a way to soften the light, using my one-light setup.

I was thinking some sort of mini-softbox would be the best idea, but you guys might have some other ideas.

Also, in the past I've used reflectors made out of those circular silver car shades taped where I needed them... perhaps they could help in this situation.

Any ideas?

Shoot through umbrella for the win if you are going up close and personal with the setup... pull the umbrella back and bounce it into the umbrella for a small increase in harshness but more light in a wider area for more light.

light stand, umbrella adapter, shoot through white umbrella - $55.

This guy is all about a one light setup:
http://www.zackarias.com/

This sounds perfect, but how do I attach it to my camera? Don't I have to take the Sb-800 off and then attach it somehow to my camera?

ALso, what EXACTLY do I buy? I am really new to lighting stuff. (Ritz camera is the only local place I can buy things...)

You need the 60 second strobist! :lol:

Up, up and awaaaaaaaaaayyy....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFjzgO8AUh0[/ame]

:lol: :lol:

The only thing missing is an umbrella that you stick into the bracket and which direction you aim the flash. ;)

Set your SB-800 to SU-4. It's in the same menu where you find the Remote option. This should allow you to fire the SB with your pop up flash. See page 84 in the SB manual.

Nice video Jerry lol

Umbrella is the obvious choice and you're lucky enough the SB-800 has SU-4 mode!

I keep hearing stories about people not being able to get umbrellas in store because they're out of stock, if that happens, buy the materials to make a DIY diffusion panel.. It's so easy and you can really get the best out of one strobe with it.

Nice video Jerry lol

It was fun making it and I am glad its not taken seriously... it was meant to be like the infomercials of the strobist world... lol!

I just found out that the Montreal Strobist group is possibly going to be able to get into a large "rent a studio" area here for the month of November/December (date not set). I am going to have my video camera there and may have some more fun and do another 2-3 60-second strobist kind of videos that entail something like maybe a ZERO FAIL way to get a basic shot using 1 umbrella or something similar. May be good for another chuckle or 2. :lol:

Same as Jerry say shoot through brolly it will give near enouth say look as soft box

If you want the look of a 3 X 6 foot softbox, the clam shell method with 2 umbrellas is uber-easy to setup and is almost impossible to get a bad shot with:

2836764030_5fafaf2221.jpg
2836764068_63233a4e13.jpg

Just make sure that the bottom light is 2-4 stops lower than the upper light!

Most reactions

Back