Better low light capability

Offhand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need to squeeze more low light capability out of my gear. I have some pretty fast lenses now (2.8 wide, 1.4 prime and 4/is zoom) and figure I can do okay shooting darkened events that have relatively static figures with lower ISO. My first choice would be a 5D, even the original, but I have a couple of EFS lenses. The 7D is a bit out of my budget right now so the 50D is on my scope. Everything I read online says it does decent 3200 and passable 6400. That beats my 30D by good margin. Still worth buying a used 50D? Just to add, I can actually buy a used 50D for half the price of a used 7d. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is this for a hobby or your business? If you're creating imagery as a service to paying clients, then you should save or borrow for the 5D. If not, then try out the 50D or 7D and see if the noise works for you.

I'd go for the 7D if that's out of your budget, get a used 5D.

It's kind of a value added service. I don't actually get paid for the photography but do it because I also provide other services, and I figure this additional skill makes me more competitive. Other people I know in similar positions have cheaper, simpler cameras like Canon G10s and Lumix superzooms. The 5D would be great but I can't justify the cost at the moment since that would also include swapping out a few lenses. I have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non vc and that's a very sharp EFS lens that would be expensive to replace with something in the Canon L line. I'm trying to overachieve since I want to build up my portfolio and take more paid gigs.

@shaunly thank for the reply. Used 5Ds seem pretty close to used 7Ds in price and then there's the lens thing. So you're both saying I should skip over the 50D?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back