BEWARE! Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Canon Digital SLR.

Aworkofmarc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Intermediate student here... I had my first experience taking pictures with my new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Canon Digital SLR.

WHAT. A. COMPLETE. SHOCK!

Every single picture taken after sunset that had a light source in it -- ended up with at least 1 alien blue 'ship' floating in my picture.. sometimes a whole fleet of them!

I contacted Sigma and a Paul Piazzano replied asking:

"Does this only occur when you are taking photos with the light source in them?" to which I answered "yes" -- his reply was:

"That is what I thought, it looks like light reflected off your cameras sensor and projected onto one of the lenses elements during exposure. It isn’t something we are able to correct."

Well now... then I'm assuming this must happen with ALL Canon cameras sporting a Sigma lens? WOW.

See the images:
IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

Last edited:
Odd, some of my best photo's are using Sigma DG lenses.....

Does this happen when you take photo's of things during the 'daylight hours'? Say with the sun in them, or ??

Scott (last photo looks like a excavator bucket) B

Is this a new lens you just bought from a store? Return it for a replacement and try that one to see if it's common across all, or just this lens specific to you.
How about on a different body?

It's called lens flare, and is common when a bright light source is in the image frame, regardless the lens brand.

Lens flare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Often, adding a filter the the front of a lens just makes it worse, even if the filter is coated to help minimize flare.
Each reflection represents a lens element air gap.

Last edited:
Filter issue.

That is actually a pretty neat effect. How come i cant make that happen with my filters?

That is actually a pretty neat effect. How come i cant make that happen with my filters?

LOL. You CAN. Just use a filter! Which from what I've just read here -- must be what's causing it. Thanks for correcting me people!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back